What comics are you all reading? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by fluffy bunny, Jan 7, 2004.

1. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

Started reading the Brightest Day vol 1 omnibus last night. I think I really need to have read the complete Blackest Night series rather than just one of the omnibuses to fully get all the details, but I'm still enjoying it :)

2. Corporal Blues

Corporal Blues I like to rock the party

Going off the strength of Brian Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim series, I decided to give his one other piece of comics work, Lost at Sea a go. Overall, I would say that it is not as strong as his work on Scott Pilgrim. His characters are as well developed, the "message" is a bit more contrived, and the art is not skillful...though in fairness, it was his first published work, so his art has come a long ways since then.

Here's a chunk from my review:

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

CB, what do you think of Scott Pilgrim? I've thought about getting it, but it seems a bit... I don't know, wrong for me.

4. Corporal Blues

Hey Loerwyn,

What about it do you feel is wrong for you? Maybe I can confirm or deny those fears...

I will say though that I loved Scott Pilgrim. I thought they were really funny, and reminded me a lot of my early 20's. I shared a lot of similarities with Scott and his friends. I pretty much devoured the whole series in the course of a week.

The story is basically about a young slacker dude who lacks maturity and experience in life, and is in the slow and often times painful experience of becoming a man. Plus, he has to defeat his gf's evil exes in arcade style battle.

In a nutshell, I would recommend it. I have reviews of the first two volumes up here at SFFworld under the "Comics" tab, and all six are reviewed at my blog....I tried my best to make them all as spoiler free as possible, so those might be helpful.

I hope that helps!

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I've got to say it's the art style that doesn't sit well with me. It's like a Western interpretation of manga art, and to be honest I don't really care for manga. I read the preview of the first volume on Amazon and it just didn't really seem to grab me for some reason.

If I find the complete box set for like £20 or something, I might risk it, but I'm just not sure whether it's to my tastes or anything. I'll look up your reviews though, definitely.

6. Corporal Blues

I don't really read any manga, so I can't say that the style of it moved me in one way or the other. I sorta just went with it. I will say that O'Malley's art improves noticeably with each subsequent volume, so there is that. I certainly wont force the series on you though, there's too much other great stuff out there to read...like Locke & Key. Hint, hint! ;)

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Yeah, yeah, CB :p I've got the FCBD '11 sampler sat next to my bed but I haven't got around to it yet, nor the one of Baltimore, nor even last year's Hellboy one. I think.

Anyway, next week should bring a large number of graphic novels. Hurrah!

8. Corporal Blues

I've got Baltimore: The Plague Ships in single issues sitting in my TBR pile just waiting for the right moment. They keep staring me down, so I'll probably have to read them sooner than later.

I'm mired in book 9 of Erikson's Malazan series right now though. Hoping to plow through before the holidays strike.

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I'm getting the HC of that. Over the next three weeks I hope to be getting:
    Baltimore: The Plague Ships (HC)
    The Dark Tower - The Gunslinger: The Little Sisters of Eluria (HC)
    Batgirl: The Flood
    Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah
    Archie Comics: The Best of Archie

Uh... I forget what else. I'm sure there were others. Hellboy 9 & 10, I think.

10. Corporal Blues

Maybe we should do a Graphic Novel book of the month club with Baltimore: The Plague Ships....I'd be down.

I had to look up Jenny Finn 'cause I'd never heard of it....Looks amazing, and weird...which means I pretty much have to read it. Farel Dalrymple does some of the art, and I've seen his stuff before, it is pretty cool.

11. chitman13

chitman13 Staff

See you're getting this one - what did you think of the previous ones? I've only read the first, but as it was a re-telling of what happened in Wizard and Glass I knew I was going to enjoy it.

12. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I have all of them to date in hardcover, which should really say it all.

13. Corporal Blues

I recently read through all four of the Planetary trades back to back, to back, to back. Absolutely brilliant series, and easily the best stuff I've read in the world of comics so far.

Ellis' writing is top notch. Each individual issue reads like a standalone story, yet ties into a much more elaborate tapestry. I appreciated how each and every detail was vital to the story in some way, it was nice to read a comic devoid of fluff or superfluousness.

John Cassaday's art is beautiful to behold, and I was amazed that he managed to aptly illustrated all the weird and strange things the script threw at him.

All in all, as near to perfect as I've seen comics get. I recommend reading the series straight through as I did, one for the sheer enjoyment, and two because the story demands that each detail is remembered from beginning to end.

Great stuff. It'll be hard to top Planetary.

14. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

I'd be surprised if you did, I remember waiting a year or two for the last couple of issues was agonising but collecting it in singles was awesome because of the covers which were frankly brilliant.

15. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

My brother just loaned me volumes 3 - 10 of the Walking Dead. Just wrapping up #3, brutal stuff. So good. I am already seeing the tv show at the prison.

16. Corporal Blues

The individual covers look quite brilliant. I'm pretty jealous you have this in single issues.

17. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Absolute prize possessions because of the delays and availability problems :)

On another note I have not got round to reading any of the DC comics since the reboot, I have several #1's and a few #2's but they're in a pile that I keep avoiding. Not sure I can be bothered, it's certainly cheaper!

18. Corporal Blues

Out of the 7 DC relaunch titles I deemed worthy of checking out, I'm still reading 5, but out of those 5 only one, Batwoman, is something I'd really heap lots of praise on.

19. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

Started Walking Dead volume #7. Wow is this series ever down and out gritty. Forget the zombies, the "Governor" of the nearby town is brutal. And for those of you who have read this, Mischonne is one mysterious and ass kicking gal. I can feel an apocalyptic nightmare coming on!

20. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

You have no idea :)