What comics are you all reading? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by fluffy bunny, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

In my continued drift from the cape and tights books, I'm leaning more towards SF comics.

Two of particular interest in recent weeks:

Planetoid, written, drawn, and lettered by Ken Garing. Anti-hero lands on a strange planet filled with old broken down machinery with AI viruses.
    Good stuff

The Massive by Brian Wood and Kristian Donaldson
    Near future SF - environmental disasters have ravaged the planet and an ocean ship has lost contact with its sister ship.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Have you read Channel Zero or any of its related comics, Rob? Just wondering as you're on The Massive.

3. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

Nope, I haven't.

4. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Gah, you're no use!

I've mentioned this a few times on Twitter, but Comixology have a 99c/£0.69 (using app prices) sale on some more recent Image #1s - Mind the Gap (Buy), Whispers (Buy!!!), Saga (Buy!) and a whole host of others.

But buy Whispers. NOW. Joshua Luna's solo series is just 3 issues in (well, #3 is tomorrow), but it's absolutely jaw-droppingly stunning. The art, the writing. It's worth every penny/cent.

5. Quimby

Quimby yep

Just ordered the first two Deluxe hardbacks for 100 Bullets. I plan to get them all when they are released. I really enjoyed that series. Eduardo Risso's artwork is fantastic. I unfortunately don't pick up comics anymore save for the occasional trade. Criminal, Hellboy and BPRD being the usual suspects.

Has anyone been reading Spaceman by Azzarello and Risso or Fatale by Brubaker and Phillips? I was debating those trades when they become available.

6. Quimby

Quimby yep

Planetary is up there as one of my favorites. Have you read Cooke's Parker series based on the Stark novels? Good stuff. The short run of Nextwave by Ellis and Immonen was enjoyable too.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Fatale got rec'd by one of the comic shops I visit. Apparently it's very good, but I know nothing more than that.

Today's haul:
    Girls vol. 1: Conception (£3 for a trade? F-Yes!)
    Whispers #3
    Mind the Gap #2
    Nonplayer #1 (Second Printing; think it's just had a reprint from Image)
    Alabaster: Wolves #3
    Fatima: The Blood Spinners #1 (Gilbert Hernandez mini-series)
    B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth - Exorcism #1
    Idolized #0 (The awesome photo cover, too)
    The New Deadwardians #1
    Supercrooks #1

Also won a copy of Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files vol. 19 and I'm working my way through that. First time I've really read Grant Morrison or Garth Ennis, y'know, and it's my first experience of Mark Millar's comic work (though I've read one or two 2000AD short stories he's done).

8. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Mini review time!

Whispers #3
    Perhaps the weakest so far, but still a cut above most others. Has me champing at the bit for August(?) and issue four.

Mind the Gap #2
    Things seem a little clearer but not. I reckon this will be like Morning Glories (Rodin Esquejo, MtG's artist, does covers for Morning Glories too!) in that it'll read better in chunks and after a few passes.

Nonplayer #1
    Some very interesting (but not exactly unique) ideas. Not sure what to think, but in a positive way.

Alabaster: Wolves #3
    Like Whispers #3, I think this is the weakest so far, but it's still good and quite interesting.

Fatima: The Blood Spinners #1
    Awesome. Some questionable artistic design choices (particularly the uniform Fatima wears at one point which looks like a catsuit, a utility vest and a pair of white Y-fronts), but otherwise brilliant. Rare to see a black and white comic these days, and I think it made Fatima so, so much more unique.

B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth - Exorcism #1
    It's B.P.R.D., do you honestly think I have anything bad to say about it?

Idolized #0
    It's like a blurb with pictures. It does actually work quite well at what it does - introduces the main character, gives some plot points and says "well, this is where I end up", meaning it hooks you in with no more than a few pages. There's some fluff material in it, such as interviews (reminding me a lot of Watchmen and Ultra: Seven Days, actually), which I've not yet read. Quite interested in it, we'll see where it goes.

The New Deadwardians #1
    Yaaaaawwwwnnnnnnnnnn. Boring art, absolutely vile stereotypical accents (come on, Dan, you're better than that - Cor Blimey, Guvna!). From what I've experienced of Dan Abnett, this is very weak.

Supercrooks #1
    Fairly interesting ideas behind it, focusing on the bad guys rather than the good guys, and it does kind of riff off the typical superhero genre, but for all of that it seems very by-the-numbers and a bit... flat. Wouldn't be surprised if I just forget about it.

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files vol. 19
    This deserves a proper review, but I'll summarise it. Wildly inconsistent in terms of quality but also Rebellion's wish to give details on who did which stories. Some of the stories seem a little over-long, others are a little too short. And some of the... um... racial representations are rather troubling.

9. Corporal Blues

Corporal Blues I like to rock the party

I've read some of the Parker novels by Stark, but not the comics. I want to, but just haven't had the opportunity yet.

@Loerwyn,

I wasn't a fan of The Massive. Brian Wood's stuff doesn't jive with me for some reason.

I've been reading and enjoying Fatale, but I recommend reading it in collected edition. The story is dense and complex, and I feel a bit lost reading it in monthlies. I need to go back and reread the whole damn thing.

10. Quimby

Quimby yep

Read Fatale. A good horror crime book. I don't think there is a better team working than Brubaker and Phillips for my dollar.

I just ordered the Score the latest Parker novel adaptation by Darwin Cooke. Looking forward to it.

I also picked up the complete zombie, amazon and robots(whatever the hell it's called) book by Ashley Wood. Sadly, I don't really expect much from the story but I do enjoy his artwork.

11. Quimby

Quimby yep

Artwork from the Score.

[​IMG]

12. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Darwyn Cooke is a very, very good artist. I've not really read anything of his but I was almost swayed by Minutemen purely because of Cooke.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

So, as Rob knows, I too have sworn off DC Comics now. Not because of Before Watchmen, though, but because they've benched Stephanie Brown. AGAIN. Sigh.

Anyway... um. Yeah. SDCC this weekend, and I've largely shrugged and rolled my eyes with regards to Marvel and DC, but Image have announced some funky stuff coming out next year, and the Will Eisner awards happened. I think Mark Waid won three, but (more importantly for me) Vera Brosgol won an award for Anya's Ghost (AMAZING graphic novel) and Tyler Crook (current lead on B.P.R.D.) won something like Most Promising Newcomer.

Aspen's Idolized starts properly next month, too, which I'm kinda looking forward to. I'm just worried that it'll be a typical Aspen title, which means BOOBS and BUTT everywhere.

Top Cow is bringing Cyber Force back, though, so yay for Velocity!

15. D.R. Stevenson

D.R. Stevenson Autistic Madman

Have any of you ever thought of doing your own Sci-Fi or Fantasy comics with Poser 3D, photoshop, and Manga Studio EX?

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Nope. I have the creative talent of a dead tree.

17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Today I bought:

Trades:
    Rachel Rising vol. 1: The Shadow of Death - Terry Moore
    Maggie the Mechanic: A Love & Rockets Book (vol. 1 vol. 1 or something like that) - Jaime Hernandez
    Judge Anderson - The Psi-Files Volume 1 - Various

Issues:
    Fatima: The Blood Spinners #2 - Gilbert Hernandez
    Alabaster: Wolves #4 - Kiernan, Lieber, etc.
    Revival #1 - Um, I forget
    Debris #1 - I also forget
    B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Exorcism #2 - Mike Mignola, Cameron Stewart, Dave Stewart
    Thought Bubble 2011 Anthology - Various (done for a con last year)
    Blood Blokes #1 & #2 (Digital) - Adam Cadwell (local-ish comics creator)

I read Fatima #2 and... was a little disappointed, I must admit. You don't get a lot for the $4 cover price, but it's not bad. Might have been a slightly weak issue, though. Exorcism #2 was pretty good, too, but I'm not quite sure Cameron Stewart was on top of his game for the art duties, and I don't think Dave Stewart particularly flattered it either. Not got to the other issues yet.

As for trades, I'm about a third of the way through Judge Anderson and loving it. I mean these stories are like 30+ years old at times and widdle all over a lot of modern comics, both in terms of writing and the art. I mean, really, an artist for a weekly British comic being miles better than most of those hired for monthlies by The Big Two? I laugh. Terry Moore's Rachel Rising, though? Single. Best. Trade. Of. 2012. So. Far. It's AMAZING. The art, the tone, the writing? Amazing.

EDIT: I also forgot the Adventure Time spin-off Marceline & the Scream Queens #1. It was... okay. Forgettable, but not exactly bad. But either way, the Adventure Time comics haven't come close to the brilliance of the cartoon.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  18. Corporal Blues

Wow, it's been a while since I've made an appearance around here. Anyway, been reading lots of comics lately.

On the top of my list is FABLES. I've blazed through the first four trades worth of material, and I am incredibly impressed. Fables is tons of fun. I highly recommend it.

Loewryn- I foresee you changing your avatar to Snow White's if you read this.

In single issues, I've been keeping up with Prophet, which has gotten really weird and hard to follow lately. Kinda frustrating given how much I loved the opening story arc.

I also read Debris which I thought was ok, but not awesome. Rossmo's art is much more clean looking than his usual stuff, which is kinda a nice change, as I've felt his work is a bit busy looking at times.

I need to get over to the comic shop so I can pick up my copy of Godzilla: Half Century War written and drawn by James Stokoe.

19. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Read trade one, seem to remember enjoying it, not really pushed on with it. There's series I'm much more interested in reading right now, particularly Luna Brothers ones ;)

Still haven't managed to read Maggie the Mechanic yet, either. Finding it hard to get into. Haven't touched Alabaster: Wolves #4 as well, but I'm waiting to get the fifth later this month before I do.

20. Corporal Blues

Hmm, I pictured it as something you would really enjoy.

I was pretty skeptical when I started out, but was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it as much as I have been.