What did you read as a kid that got you started in this genre? / into fantasy?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Azurehero, Nov 4, 2000.

1. Azurehero

Azurehero New Member

How did you come into fantasy?

Hey everyone. Joel Rosenberg is my favorite author. He hooked me on reading when I was young. "The Sleeping Dragon" was the first fantasy book that I read, and the first book that had me caring about the characters for that matter.
    I highly recomend.

What was the book that turned all of you on to fantasy? Why do you think it hooked you?

2. Paul_Ashaman

Paul_Ashaman New Member

Pawn of Prophecy, Book 1 of the Belgariad by David Eddings was my first fantasy book.

I have no idea why I like fantasy so much, possibly its because I like to think about a different world for a time.

PA

3. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

Victor Kelleher. Australian author doing young adult books, some of which were fantasy. Still an interesting read to go back to.

4. Lady Fox

Lady Fox New Member

My first book in the scifi/fantasy world was Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey. I loved it and immediately began to scour the library for similar works. I discovered Andre Norton, Susan Cooper, Heinlein, Asimov, Lloyd Alexander, and C.S. Lewis just to name a few that I remember. I was ten years old when I first began reading this genre, and I've been an avid fan ever since. I think I like this genre so much because it transcends all rules and restrictions. With sicifi/fantasy you can lose yourself in the "what if" world of magic and future science.

5. Azurehero

Azurehero New Member

Wow! Some great responces there. I liked "The Sleeping Dragon" because it was so different from everything else I'd read. See, I hadn't found anything that I liked to read and my mom refused to give up. She was thrilled to see me spend the day working from one end of the paper back to the next.

Aaaah, books are great.

6. Shadowen

Shadowen New Member

Well, The Hobbit was read to me by a relative when I was about 6 years old, then The Lord of the Rings, and I just took off from there. Went on to Anne Mc Caffrey and David Eddings (used to love him, but then I grew up)! and just carried on from there!

7. Lani

Lani Guarded by the Moon

As my first book I remember Roger Zelazny's Amber Series. They hooked me on fantasy and It is still one of my most facourite authors.

8. wastra

wastra Registered User

I started on C.S. Lewis. Then on to Tolkien, Brooks, Eddings, Etc.

Have to say this: George Martin is the best fantasy writer of our time.

9. Giarc

Giarc New Member

I started with CS Lewis (Narnia), Tolkien (Hobbit) and Lloyd Alexander (Prydain) when I was just knee-high to a grasshopper. Wonderful stuff *happy sigh*
    And no argument from me regarding G.Martin, Wastra. Though I've yet to read his 3rd.

10. Charles

Charles New Member

I started with Tolkien. I read The Hobbit in my 6th grade class, and I enjoyed it. I eventually read LOTR and The Silmarillian, and some of his short stories. I then got into Dragonlance and D&D books. I have been reading other authors more recently though.

11. Liselle

Liselle New Member

The first I read was the Narnia series or 'Märchenmond' by Hohlbein, I do not remember exactly. Then Hohlbein again for a long time, Eddings, Kelleher, Pulman, some DSA...

12. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

Wow! Another Kelleher reader.
    Now that I think of it, the Narnia books may have come first. There have been a lot of books over the years though, and my memory isn't the best on the planet...

13. Cellandros

Cellandros New Member

My early fantasy adventures were with Lloyd Alexander, then Alan Dean Foster (Spellsinger), and then Stephen Donaldson.

14. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I read some choose your own adventure books when I was younger. Ace had a series of young adult books under the "Magic Quest" imprint that I remember reading--Tanith Lee, Patricia C. Wrede this was when I was like 8 or 9.

What really started me on fantasy was the DragonLance Chronicles by Weis/Hickman when I was in Middle School.

15. Misty

Misty New Member

I got started on fantasy books about 5 years ago. The first fantasy books I ever read were the Heralds Of Valdemar triligoy by Mercedes Lackey. Since then I have been devouring her books as fast as I can find them. I think she is an amazing writer. If you would like to recomend another writer to me fell free to e-mail me at Amandamaynard18@hotmail.com Thanks

16. BlakeHyde

BlakeHyde New Member

I got started in fantasy when I was eight, with the Hobbit. It's been a long and bumpy ride...

17. drakon

drakon New Member

the first book i read in english , if my memory serves me right is Legacy of Heorot by
    Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle and Steven Barnes. that got me into sci-fi and i think i read Footfall and Ringworld after that.
    i loved it because i really liked the characters and the fact that it really took me into a whole different world.
    i then read lots and lots of Stephen king book which in a way turned me into fantasy bacause of all the supernatural stuff they involved.
    i think my first "official" fantasy book was Zelazny's Amber series. i still think it is one of the best.

all this happened about eight years ago, and for some reson which i can't put a finger on i then didn't read that much anymore. until i re-read the Hobbit and LOTR which i had trouble with at a younger age(due to the language) and totally fell inlove again with fantasy. which is one of the resons i hold Tolkein as the best ever.
    after reading the posts above i believe i'll pick up this Martin guy, he seems to be getting alot of praise in this forum.
    have a good day everybody [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by drakon (edited November 21, 2000).]

18. shadowfire

shadowfire New Member

Greensmoke(about R dragon)can't remember the author I was about 7

19. trask5

trask5 Registered User

I got turned on to Fantasy by my best friend in High School oh so many years ago. Rightfully so, he started me off with the Hobbit. He also introduced me to a series of books that I have not been able to remember the names or author of. One of them was about Rapheal I think and he played the lute(is that right, the stringed instrument?). If anyone knows what I'm talking about I would love to get my hands on those books again.

20. Maya

Maya New Member

Hello!
    I'm new and this is my first message so I'm sorry if i say something stupid (which i probably will). I got into fantasy by reading Pawn of Prophecy recommended by my older brother and it captivated me straight away. I don't think i would have got into fantasy otherwise because David Eddings has a beautiful way of combining a decent story with an atmosphere that isn't too serious which can be intimidating to beginners to fantasy. Recommend Pawn of Prophecy to any beginners and I can virtually guarantee they will be hooked. And i would also like to ask why don't many people like David Eddings anyway?