What fantasy book would be easy to portray in a movie/tv series?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by skyscan, Mar 20, 2012.

1. skyscan

skyscan New Member

When I read books I often try to visualize the scenes and expressions of particular characters, almost like I'm the director of a movie. There are a great many books I have read where I just could not justify them coming to the big screen. There'd have be too much monologue by characters for anything to make sense. A lot magical systems use inner thought to work. The readers could feel the struggle with them through description of the magic user's mind.

Take Name of the Wind for an example, I think it would be absolutely impossible to implement it into some live-action ordeal. Every little action (through "magic" as Kvothe's world sees it) requires the reader's to grapple with abstract ideas for it to make sense. I'm not sure how a TV/Movie would explain that without a huge narration of some sort which then would turn that in to a read-a-loud.

On the contrary I believe the Mistborn series would make a great TV/Movie. Its magic system is very physical. I can invision blue lines extending from the body connection to each metal source. I could see (through CGI and slo-mo) the amazingness of Atium.

Have you any other magic systems that could be visually comprehended in their entirety?

2. Contrarius

Contrarius You talkin' to me??

I think Abercrombie has a very cinematic style, especially in the First Law trilogy and I guess also in The Heroes. Which stands to reason, since he is a freelance film editor......

3. TooNice

TooNice Banned

I think Sanderson, Abercrombie and Gemmell's work is really well suited to screen, they all have that cinematic vibe contrarius mentioned, and their dialogue is all quite strong. You'd miss a lot of the introspective qualities that are a big part of why I love Gemmell and Abercrombie especially, but hey, there are sacrifices with every transition to another medium. Oh how I now wish Gemmell's Troy trilogy was used for the big screen rather than the Brad Pitt film.

But no book is 'easy' to portray.

4. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

I hope the Ketty Jay books will be filmed. They would work very well with a budget in the Pirates of the Carribean bracket.

for smaller budgets, I would like to see some Patricia McKillip or Guy Gavriel Kay on the big screen. I thought there was a project for Lions of All-Rassan already approved, but it seems to have dissapeared.

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter

It'd be as boring as sin, but it would be incredibly easy to do :p

6. polishgenius

polishgenius Registered User

I'd love to see Feist's Magician as a cinematic duology. No need for any of the others though.

I agree, Mistborn would make a great movieverse. I'd probably like it more than the books, if properly done.

Also, China Mieville's Bas-Lag books... largely because I want someone to make The Scar before Mads Mikelsen is too old to play Uther Doul.

7. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

I think Redicks Chathrand Voyage wouldnt be too hard, Giant ship CGI, find cool locations, good actors/ piece of cake! :cool:

The Gentlemen Bastards should be pretty easy too.

8. Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack sapper-in-chief

I'm reading Winter Warriors right now and was thinking about this very question, how this book would make a great movie. Plenty of action, suspense, and excellent pacing for a story that could be wrapped up easily in a single movie. It would also be a great vehicle to showcase 3 aging male actors as the titular winter warriors (Sean Connery as Kebra, for sure), fighting one final battle for honor and glory against seemingly impossible odds (to save the world, of course).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  9. TooNice

TooNice Banned

I haven't read that one, but Dark Moon would be great for similar reasons.

10. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

Current special effects, used judiciously, could make some very good fantasy movies out of books:
    A Fine and Private Place & Tamsin by Peter Beagle (the latter started life as an idea requested by Disney)
    The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll
    Our Lady of Darkness also the Fahfrd and Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber
    The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes

I expect several others to come to mind as soon as I send this.

Randy M.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  11. Jennifer P

Jennifer P Registered User

Kirsten Britain's Green Rider series would work well. I'd love to see something from Valdemar, too.

12. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Whats Valdemar?

13. Rob B

Rob B \m/ BEER \m/ Staff Member

I think it would be lots of fun and not boring at all.

I think The Dresden Files would work. Wait what?

Maybe Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards would work too.

14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Maybe if they did the whole series, but the first book itself just isn't all that exciting.

15. Lazerus

Lazerus Way Too Human

Tanith Lee's "Kill the Dead" would be very easy to convert to the big/small screen.

I absolutely loved that book.

16. chris777

chris777 Registered User

No Malazan mentions?! OK it would be incredibly difficult actually. But there are so many scenes in this book that would be down right amazing to watch on the big screen. My mouth waters at the thought. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

17. Kazz Wylde

Kazz Wylde Rogue Warrior

Yeah Syfy already took a crack at Dresden Files, it was ok, I used to watch it.

Wasn't the movie rights sold for a Locke Lamora flick before the first book came out?

18. Red Viper

Red Viper Lelouch Lamperouge

Chain Of Dogs sequence from the Malazan Book of the Fallen would just be brilliant..

19. Ornery Wyvern

Ornery Wyvern 50% Certain

I would love to see the Dresden files, starting with book three, adapted into films. I think they are generally cinematic and offer enough crazy, but doable, effects to be viable as blockbusters and they are compact enough that the whole story could be told with minimal sacrifice. It will never happen, but I can dream :D.

I could also see The Steel Remains and Cold Commands making good films, they would be controversial enough :rolleyes: - oh noes gay people! - to create a stir and if handled well could be great.

The more I think about it the more I think The Name of the Wind could be a great film, there are some very cinematic scenes. I'm really not convinced the basics of the magic system are that complex, have Ben explain a little in the wagon, the class with Heme (sp?) and keep nameing cryptic with a little elucidation from Elodin - all to my mind plot essentials in anycase.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  20. Gouletc1

Gouletc1 New Member

I could see the Wheel of Time series as an HBO show, I think it's far to detailed for a movie, and even as a show it's rather strained, but I could still see it. I agree that Mistborn would make a nice set of movies. On the subject of Bradon Sanderson, I think that Elantris would be fun to see on screen as well. Realistically, I would take just about any good book adaptation to movie right now. Quality movies seem rather slim lately, and if there is one more re-release of something i might go crazy.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012