What Program?

Discussion in 'Writing' started by Dragonheart, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

I was wondering what program everyone uses when writing on the computer? WordPad, NotePad, Microsoft Word or something else. Just curious, I know its a personal choice, so not everyone uses the same program.

2. Expendable

Expendable infomaniac

Abiword - I can put it on a thumb drive and take it anywhere, plus the price is right.

3. Radthorne

Radthorne Keeper of the Hikari

I use Word, mostly for easy compatibility with whatever machine I might likely to need to open a file on (or to send a file to someone else), but not for any particular feature of Word itself.

I might add that there is a free add on to Word that I personally find extremely useful, called WordWeb. It is a combined dictionary and thesarus that is far better than the built-in stuff in Word. There is a free version and Pro version; I use the free version. It sits as a tool bar button inside Word and is dirt-simple to use; I probably use it every day.

4. Ward

Ward biblioholic

Word is also what most people who accept electronic manuscripts want, either as a .doc or .rtf, and its something of the industry standard. It's also very easy to use.

5. JBI

JBI Lord of Chaos

Word for text, photoshop for everything else. And of course, I use the old school dictionary and thesaurus.

6. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

when you say word, are talking Microsoft Word or Wordpad?

7. Radthorne

Radthorne Keeper of the Hikari

Microsoft Word. The only thing I use WordPad for is for formatted text files (used a lot in the 3D programs I do my art with).

8. misery

misery New Member

I use Word, but my trial is due to expire, so I need to buy a license key. Im not too hot on the idea of paying 300$ on it. Im not qualified for a student and teachers edition version. Theres also a Microsoft Works Suite 8, which includes Word 2002 and Encarta, anyone tried it? I think I'll but it. What's the difference between Word 2002 and Word 2003 beside the toolbar look?
    Sorry for my english, which isn't my native language.

9. Ward

Ward biblioholic

I doubt there is much difference between 2002 and 2003, certainly nothing that would effect your ability to do word processing or share files.

10. Jacquin

Jacquin Shovelly Joe

I use yWriter2 by SpaceJock. It has quite a few limitations (only dealing with txt files for example) but imho its pros far outweigh its cons.

J

11. SphereChanger

SphereChanger Unknown

I've used that a few times, and first impressions are good - it provides you with a well structured approach, and the ability to edit and change things easily an efficiently.

12. jallenw

jallenw Registered User

Programs

I started my first novel on a spiral notebook with a number 2 pencil. I upgraded to ball-point pen the next day.

I didn't get a computer to write with until about 4 months later. I had Dos 3.1 and I used edit.exe to write .txt files.

NOW, I am back in the 21st century. I use MS Word 2003 and I highly recommend it. The only thing I use notepad for is to jot down little notes, kind of like those yellow sticky pads you stick everywhere. I deleted wordpad.exe from my computer. No one on earth has any business using Wordperfect at all ever. I appologize to all those Wordperfect users out there, but it has got to be one of the worst wordprocessing software programs ever. (I'm talking about PC software, I have no idea what software brands are like on the Mac.)

13. kahnovitch

kahnovitch Kiss my axe!

MS Word is functional for my purposes, but I do have to use the "Shut the Hell up" option for the grammar bully paperclip.

I hate the little swine underlining stuff as I'm trying to write. It's like have an imp sitting on your shoulder...

"This is not right", "This doesn't look right either" , "This is a fragment and makes no sense". :mad: :rolleyes:

14. PlanetRetcon

PlanetRetcon Podcaster

When I really need to super-format a file, I use Open Office which is a free, open source Word substitute.

Most of my actual writing takes place in Abiword because it's just so slick.

When I'm just taking notes I generally use Kate, which is like Notepad for KDE (Linux)

I'm trying to learn VI but I really doubt I'll ever do any serious writing in it.

15. Mr.O'Toole

Mr.O'Toole Registered User

speech recognition?

There are many features in Speech Recognition in Windows Vista
    Have anybody tried it?

16. Sid_Fallon

Sid_Fallon Registered Drivel.

I use OpenOffice. Mainly it's because I don't want to buy anything, and openoffice can save in pretty much any format, Word included. I like its style too, while Word always kind of irritated me...though I couldn't really pinpoint why if you asked. :)