What's the last movie you watched (2011)?

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Evil Agent, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

saw two movies that couldn't be more different:

Red State - Kevin Smith without the humor, a bit over the top and vengeful towards religion, but still, the issues raised here are no laughing matter.

Late Spring - Yasujiro Ozu poetic portrayal of 1949 Japan and father / daughter relationship. Here's a quote from Roger Ebert, who put this film in his First 100 list and convinced me to check it out:
    It is universally believed, just as in a Jane Austen novel, that a woman of a certain age is in want of a husband. "Late Spring" is a film about two people who desperately do not believe this, and about how they are undone by their tact, their concern for each other, and their need to make others comfortable by seeming to agree with them.

2. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

I saw it last night and thought it was good. I didn't quite like it as much as the Swedish original (if you thought Rooney Mara kicks butt, you should check out the Swedish version. The actress in that one is Lisbeth Salander!) but in truth they both tell the story pretty faithfully to the book with slightly different tweeks in each version. I'd recommend it.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Just back from Mission Incredible/Impossible. Good fun from Tom and Brad Bird (Director of The Iron Giant/The Incredibles: see what I did there?)

Very slick, very glossy: some awesome stunts which look incredible on a big screen. Plot's a bit all over the place, but generally worth the money.

Better than the last Bond movie...

Mark

4. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Another Year, directed by Mike Leigh and starring Jim Broadbent. Highly recommended if you like a true character movie.

5. Chuffalump

Chuffalump A chuffing heffalump

Centurion, a violent action film telling the story of the doomed Ninth Legion that supposedly vanished into the mists 'north of the wall' and never came back.

I enjoyed it for it's own sake but also because it has continuity, sort of :), with the next film I'm going to see.....

The Eagle. Based on the excellent children's book 'The Eagle of the Ninth'. Ahhhh, fond memories of youth.

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Administrator Staff Member

Have looked at both of those, Chuff... but not been tempted enough yet. Be interested in what you think/thought.

Mark

7. ubergeek

ubergeek Registered User

Q THE WINGED SERPENT

SWAMP THING

Great 80s B movie fun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.