What's the last movie you watched 2012

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Westsiyeed, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Santaria

Santaria Registered User

Yes, Avengers was good Tickle. Just saw Looper it was great. Just great storytelling with great character development.

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Don't worry, I don't read the Fail or the Sex Pest (as they are known in some circles), but I'm not averse to Radio 2 despite it not really being my kind of music. But I do listen to things on Radio 4. Ahem. I know what you mean, though.

Is that a proposition?

3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Not strictly a movie, but I just watched Shrek's Thrilling Tales, one of those 5-quid-from-Tesco DVDs. Collects four new shorts and also contains Scared Shrekless (released on DVD last year), which is a bit cheeky of Dreamworks.

What did I think?
    Thriller parody - very short, didn't quite work, but it was kinda funny in its own way.
    The Pig Who Cried Werewolf - I liked this one. Rather silly, but ended abruptly.
    The Ghost of Lord Farquaad - I think this is adapted from the Shrek 4D film. Um. Yeah. It's not exactly high quality, the animation and lighting/shadowing seems pretty off, and it just didn't seem to make much sense.
    Monsters vs Aliens: Night of the Living Carrots - Out of place on this DVD, seemed to be low quality (for DreamWorks) and all but Seth Rogen had been replaced, and even then I couldn't tell it was him as B.O.B., but it was kinda silly and I did enjoy it, though I was disappointed.

And Scared Shrekless was pretty good, I guess.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. Action Avenue

Action Avenue Artist, Cartoonist & Dude

Bought a copy of The Raven for my wife and we watched it maybe three or four days ago. Another one that was just ok (not terrible, not spectacular either). I don't know which is worse: watching a mediocre movie or a really, really bad movie. At least with a terrible movie, one can savor the joy of poking fun at the expense of everyone involved with the process of making the movie. With a so-so movie, it just sits there begging for a strong opinion either in favor of it or against it and not getting either. This is the second so-so movie I've experienced in a row (the last one was Prometheus). Hopefully, I am not becoming too jaded for movies. Any thoughts out there?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  5. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

I recently saw a creepy little movie called The Devil's Double about an Iraqi soldier who is coerced into being Uday Hussien's body double who makes public appearances while the real Uday whores and murders to his psychopathic indulgences (a little too vividly for my tastes but I suppose that's the point). Apparently this is a true story (the character portrayed as the body double escaped Iraq and is living in hiding even today).

It does make you wonder though. Are there 20 Obama and Romney body doubles out there campaigning for election? Did the real Romney and/or Obama actually take part in the presidential debates recently? The possibilities are endless and somewhat frightening.

6. PeterWilliam

PeterWilliam Omnibus Prime

Watched Prometheus last night and liked it well enough. I am still rather puzzled concerning 'the why' of the opening scene. Anyone here know if that was just suicide, homicide, or what?

7. Anjasa

Anjasa Erotic SFF Author

I just watched Secretary and have to say I really enjoyed it. I love stories about people dealing with their problems in unusual manners, or struggling to make themselves fit into society and it just not working. Their romance isn't conventional, but it's what works for them and makes them happy, and it was pretty fantastic.

8. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

And funny. One of the few modern rom-coms I could stand watching again.

9. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

I think it's supposed to be an Engineer "seeding" a new planet with new life - a necessary suicide. Possibly the planet's supposed to be Earth...

10. JunkMonkey

Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel (2009) - a comedy SF film which manages the rare double of being both good SF (it all makes sense) and is very funny. Three ordinary blokes find a time rift in the toilets of their local pub. Complexity ensues. Wonderfully written stuff. Loved it.

11. Steven L Jordan

Steven L Jordan I like SF. SF is cool.

I saw Cloud Atlas this weekend. I really enjoyed it, despite the distraction of "name that actor" every time they brought out a new character played by the main actors.

12. JunkMonkey

I'm really looking forward to this - I really liked the book and spot the actor is not going to concern me. I wouldn't recognise Halley Berry (I think she's in it) if she fell on me. For that matter most currently working Hollywood actors are blank canvases as far as I'm concerned.

Tonight I watched Arrietty, Studio Ghibli's beautiful take on the Mary Norton Borrower books. I read the books as a kid and have seen just about every screen adaptation over the years (bits at least) but this film is by far the best. Slow gentle and utterly enchanting. And not just me. My three kids: aged 10, 8, and 3 were riveted. I don't think I have ever seen them so engrossed in a film. (We watched the UK dubbed version. The US dubbed version is, I understand, very different - and sounds very horrible.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  13. DurzoBlint

DurzoBlint http://tinyurl.com/363ogv

I enjoyed Cloud Atlas as well. Thought it was as true to the book as it could have been considering time restraints. Last week, the wife and I went and saw Flight. Good movie, entertaining, but not worth the Oscar hype.

14. JimF

JimF Registered User

I saw an old classic Japanese SciFi Film called Atragon. It is about a lost society called the Mu, who are kind like Atlantians only in the Pacific, and their plot to overthrough and enslave the world. The only hope is a super submarine built in secret by a Japanese sub commander who fled the civilized world rather than surrender to the americans after WWII. (Of course there is a monster to deal with too!) Sure it was silly, but overall it was a joy to watch. I was expecting a total B movie, but this film had high production values and good FX and model work for the time, 1962. I wonder how many other Japanese gems there are out there to watch.

Jim

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Brave

I loved it. I want Merida's hair.

16. Steven L Jordan

Steven L Jordan I like SF. SF is cool.

Ha! You say that now, but wait until you have to pull a comb through it!

On the subject of animated movies, I just saw How to Train Your Dragon. Fun stuff.

17. Action Avenue

Action Avenue Artist, Cartoonist & Dude

Watched X-Men First Class about a week and a half ago. Thought it was really well done. Liked the infusion of fresh characters. Action and plot was generally well paced.

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Up
    Been on a Disney/Pixar kick lately (still am, admittedly), so I picked up Up cheaply. Wow, that blew Brave away by a country mile. What an awesome film. As our Rob knows, I didn't quite manage to cry, but it is still an emotional ride. I really cannot... SQUIRREL!

Pixar Short Films Collection vol. 1
    Not quite a movie, but eh. Nice collection of some of their earlier films. Some excellent pieces (Knick Knack, Boundin' & Jack-Jack Attack), some okay ones (Mike's New Car, Mater and the Ghostlight), one that causes you to say Hail Marys for its duration (Tin Toy - that baby was HORRIFYING) and the worst animated piece I have ever seen in my life (The Adventures of André and Wally B. - though admittedly it was one of their very firsts). Probably not really one for the kids? It's more a... hm. Not sure.

Pixar Short Films Collection vol. 2
    A much stronger collection, worth it for the Toy Story shorts alone, with some really good films. La Luna stunned me, Hawaiian Vacation & Small Fry (the Toy Story ones) had me laughing out loud, Your Friend The Rat was edutainment at its finest, and Day & Night was one of the most creative things I've seen in a while.

19. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

Pixar has put Disney back on the animation map. Brave was the best effort I've seen this year (though admittedly I haven't seen most of them). Up may well be the best Pixar effort yet. I remember seeing La Luna as a short before another feature-length Pixar film (I think it was Despicable Me, another great Pixar film) and was very impressed with it!

20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Despicable Me was not a Pixar film. It is very good, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.