What's the last movie you watched 2012

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Westsiyeed, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Just watched Gnomeo & Juliet. Wanted to see it ever since I saw the trailer for it last year.

Pretty impressed, actually. The changes to the play worked really well, and the film was full of references to Shakespeare's other works - some easy to get, others not so, but the jokes? Oh, the jokes! A good number of them, especially at the start, were really tired and worn out but were quite funny, but as it got going and made its own jokes, it was really good.

Couple of gripes: At times, the animation really seemed to be a little weak, especially with the humans. One or two of the songs (thinking of the one where Gnomeo and Juliet first meet in particular) seemed a little misplaced, too.

And now I can't stop giggling at the idea of Hulk Hogan shouting "MEOW!!"

2. Corporal Blues

Corporal Blues I like to rock the party

Watched an amazing, thought provoking documentary last night called Miss Representation. Its about how the mainstream media has shaped how women are perceived in society, and how they perceive themselves. It's one of those films that make you say: "everyone should watch this".

3. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

Dario Argento's Tenenbrae . Which I thought was ****.

4. JunkMonkey

That's **** in a bad way not not **** in a good way.

5. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

So, 4/10 rather than 4/5? ;)

6. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Thanks for the post CB, will check this out (very relevant for me having two daughters, though it'll probably make me more apprehensive about their teenage years to come!)

7. Corporal Blues

Definitely a good one to watch if you have daughters! As a male I found it very valuable too. Definitely realized some of my behaviors and actions are a product of mainstream media...not that that's an excuse, but it's good to be aware, and be able to monitor myself.

the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkIiV6konY

8. Chuffalump

Chuffalump A chuffing heffalump

Yesterday I caught Fantastic Mr. Fox on tv. I admit I was prepared to hate it because I figured the American film industry would have ruined the original feel.

It's true that they couldn't resist filling a childhood favourite with American cultural references but I loved it anyway. Very funny and a bit quirky. Well worth a watch.

So.....apologies to the American film industry for my unkind thoughts.

9. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

I watched Paul last night with the lovely Jess and we both had a good time with it. The roadhouse country band was one of my favourite Star Wars references ever.

10. Lazerus

Lazerus Way Too Human

My son and I watch Ghost Rider 2 this past weekend.

The tone of the movie is a totally different vibe than the first one. At times, I thought was to "campy", and I wasn't sure if it was intentional.

Other than the obvous action oriented content, I think the themes of the movie were redemption and personal sacrifice, but it didn't come across very well. I don't usually watch a movie for it's underlying message, but it was pretty obvious "they" were trying to show one. It wasn't all Nick Cage's fault. The script was terrible at times....really terrible.

I don't expect much from a movie, so I'm not usually disappointed. I only wish to be entertained. I don't regret seeing it, and I'll probably watch it on DVD. However I don't think I could recommend it to anyone unless I know they like crappy B-movies.

11. JunkMonkey

Not often you see that written down.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. Chuffalump

Chuffalump A chuffing heffalump

I've always thought he'd do a bang up job as a small town Elvis impersonator, cuckold, borderline alcoholic, redeemed by the love of an ageing prostitute.

Somewhere, somehow, I bet this film has already been made.

13. David Mandrake

David Mandrake Registered User

14. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

Not quite there was nothing borderline about the alcoholic in the movie I'm thinking of. Otherwise superlol.

15. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Watched a couple of good movies recently - Hugo and The Adventures of Tintin. I thought Hugo was very good (but not 5 star great like many of the reviews it's been getting - the story was still fairly formulaic, but the direction and acting was excellent).

I enjoyed Tintin more (probably from being a big fan of the books), and it was nice to see a mix of ideas from at least three Tintin books thrown into one movie. Best animation film I've seen for a while.

16. kater

kater Filthy Assistants!

Cell 211 - Decent Spanish prison drama with some twists and turns, quite visceral in places with solid performances. bet it gets re-made.

17. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Caught two movies this weekend : one good and one bad. The good one was The Adventures of Tintin, the bad one the latest fanfic ninja version of The Three Musketeers. At least I got some eye candy out of it (Milla Jovovich prancing in and out of period dresses).

I'm planning now to track down the comic book version of Tintin - I think I saw some of them at the French Library.

18. WilliamElse

WilliamElse Registered User

I've just had exactly the same experience. My only disappointment was that I couldn't moan about being disappointed!

19. Corporal Blues

I watched Moneyball last night. It was ok, but nothing special. I'm not much of a baseball fan these days, so I didn't really care too much about the sporting aspect, and I wish the movie had talked about the numbers more, which would have been more interesting.

20. Quagmire

Quagmire Future suicide victim

I saw this a few weeks ago and I thought it was great. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.