What's the last movie you watched 2012

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by Westsiyeed, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDCOrange

DDCOrange Registered User

Saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last night and found it much better than I expected. The kid playing the lead role was very good at portraying someone with Aspberger's (the worst name for a learning disorder ever conceived). My wife, who is a teacher to kids with learning disorders picked up on it right away. The ending was a bit sappy but I expected that going in and it could have been done much worse. Overall I liked it.

2. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

Why? It's named after the paediatrician who first described the condition. I don't think it was 'conceived' (though he obviously was). My daughter has Asberger's and is proud to be different. She's an 'Aspie'. And it's a f*** of a lot easier to say than "high-functioning autism unaccompanied by mental retardation".

3. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

Remember to smile :) :) when you say things like that, JunkMonkey! :)

I just saw Rango. What a cute movie! It cracked me up.

When I got to work and told all my workmates (all over 40 years of age) what a fun story it was. I started saying something about how cute it was when Bean, the other lizard-like creature and Rango's love interest, would freeze up, but then one of my workmates corrected me and said she was a cow.

A cow?! Did you all think she was a cow?

I checked, and apparently, she's a desert iguana. Anyway, a very cute movie.

The chicken-steads were awesome. :)

4. DDCOrange

Slow down JunkMonkey, put the gun away. No disrespect intended to your daughter or the pediatrician the condition was named after (let alone the thousands of people who have it); it's just that everyone mispronounces it and it comes out as "Assburgers" which I personally find even more insulting. It's not like Autism or ADHD which at least is not twisted into some sick joke by certain cretins in the world.
    Just my warped perception, sorry if I've offended anyone. By the way JunkMonkey, you and your daughter should see the movie (if you haven't already), I think you might really like it.

5. JimF

JimF Registered User

I saw Cabin in the Woods yesterday and it was a really good spin on the Horror movie genre. I really enjoyed it.

6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

All I can say is you're lucky if you've avoided jokes about any condition.

7. ashleywinglet

ashleywinglet Banned

Last Movie watched in 2012

I watched the last movie in 2012 was Titanic 3D.I watched this movie last weekend.The movie is so fantastic.I like the role of Jack and Rose in this movie so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  8. DDCOrange

Point taken. I can elaborate but instead I think I'll go take the foot out of my mouth.

9. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Registered User

Captain America. It wasn't good, but it was surprisingly not bad.

10. JimF

JimF Registered User

I thought Captian America was very well done. I really liked thier take on the origin story and how they changed up the character of Bucky. What about it did you not like?

Jim

11. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Registered User

I've never read the comic so I'd probably have liked it more if I had. Ultimately it felt very predictable, and it had the typical superhero movie problem where the hero is so invincible that you know nothing bad is ever going to happen to him. They did try to work around that a little with threats to some of the other characters, but it felt tacked on to me.

From the trailer I'd expected it to be very bad, so I was pleasantly surprised; probably because the character seemed more human than many superhero movies.

12. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Wet Hot American Summer - finally found it in a 5 Euro bin, after missing it in cinema. Good , silly fun, not quite in the Meatballs class, but I like Garofalo and I had the pleasant surprise to find familiar faces in smaller roles : Amy Poehler, Elizabeth Banks, Paul Rudd and especially the comic book owner from Big Bang Theory - demonstrating the use of a chicken as a laser gun.

13. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Captain America's problems stemmed largely from the fact that it was obviously just a lead up to The Avengers, but it also tried to add a lot of the history (e.g. Bucky) without actually explaining any of it.

14. JimF

JimF Registered User

I just watched it again a couple of days ago so the movie is fresh in my mind. I am not a big comic reader but I love superhero movies. I am not sure what more you needed to know about Bucky. He was a good hearted loyal friend who stuck by Steve Rogers even after their roles were reversed.

CA was is one of my favorite Super hero movies. I guess we'll just have to disagree.

15. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

You didn't need to know more about Bucky, but there was the rest of the gang.

What they tried to do was shoehorn in a lot of the Captain America history within a short period of time, and for me it didn't work. If they'd left it at Cappy A vs HYDRA, it would have worked better (and been a little bit shorter). Obviously, the preferable thing would have been for them to expand on the other people, but they clearly didn't have time in the final cut, so leaving that train scene as just Cappy A and Bucky would have worked better (IMHO).

16. kahnovitch

kahnovitch Kiss my axe!

Timber Falls, this film is essentially the 101 of things not to do when you find yourself in a slasher movie/lost in the woods with your girlfriend type scenario.
    It's not advertised as that, but perhaps if it was, and someone did a mock narrative/voice over this film wouldn't be so bad.

Kill Theory, slasher flick that copies Saw a little in it's premise of "there's a perfectly rational reason the killer is doing all these horrible things". It tries to be intelligent about it and fails badly due to plot holes.

17. Westsiyeed

Westsiyeed The Fifth Dominion

Watched Haywire, an action-thriller directed by Steven Soderbergh. Very enjoyable, the stunts and fight scenes are realistic (probably due to the main actress being a mixed martial arts fighter) and the pace fast.

Actually although unknown, Gina Carano has screen presence and her sometimes wooden acting fits the character well. It also helps having Michael Douglas, Ewen McGregor, Fassbender and Bill Paxton in roles, but Carano steals the show. The directing is also very stylish but not overdone, and the ending caps things off nicely. Recommended!

18. JunkMonkey

JunkMonkey Registered User

I am not alone! I even watched the 'Cannes cut' of Southland Tales because she was in it.

And talking of over-long movies I shall never watch again: tonight I watched, with my daughters, Rainbow, a tediously dull, unimaginative, unmagical, badly written, flatly paced, kids' film directed by Bob Hoskins (The girls loved it.)

Though I'll never watch it again, I will remember it because it has a place in history as being the first commercially released feature film shot entirely on digital. One of these days it's going to be the answer to a pub quiz question; I know it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  19. Daddy Darth

Daddy Darth Boba Fett Lives

Conan the Barbarian v 2.0 - wow, it had no heart or soul. It just felt formulaic and made me nostalgic for Arnold. I rewatched the original a while back and it was still great. I really did not like much at all about the new one at all and came close to just turning it off.

20. algernoninc

algernoninc Now I'm an axolotl

Krakatoa - The Last Days (Volcano of Destruction in US) - a BBC docu-drama based on eyewitnesses accounts of the 1883 explosion. Great disaster movie, good special effects for a TV show and good actors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.