What's the worst fantasy novel ever IYO?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by Traveler, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Traveler

Traveler A Traveler of the Mind

My vote goes to Cynthia Sokora’s “The Dark Chronicles”

Sample from the back cover:

And the fight for life begins…
    Long ago, a sinister plot to destroy, unfolded. Hatred between generations and a willful destruction of life itself were exposed. The only way for survival – to band together. In this, the first of three, The Dark Chronicles sends you on a journey of sword, & sorcery that is destined to be a classic.
    Come into the darkness…

“Action filled excitement from a gifted author!” Margaret Weiss

2. Cymric

Cymric cynical master of time

anything by Gary Gygax

3. Iskaral Pust

Iskaral Pust Registered User

The Fifth Sorcerous - Robert Newcomb
    Blub extract: "For after these long years of peace, it seems an ancient and unspeakable evil, nurtured over centuries of darkness, has returned and is thirsting for blood, for domination and above all, for revenge. Tristan's fate is to fulfil a role chosen for him by an ages-old prophecy..." etc.
    Published in 2002 by the way.

4. Archmage

Archmage Guest

I gotta agree with you on that one. Some of the concepts were interesting, but I found the writing to be terrible.

I can't actually narrow it down to one particular book. Obviously I was also not impressed with Newcomb. I would have to add The Runelords by David Farland, The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglas, and Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth (everything after book two) to the list.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2004
  5. Firebrand

Firebrand Long Time Reader

wow you must have NO experience with truly bad fantasy, archmage. In my experience two of those books were actually pretty good (I haven't read the other) I've run into stuff MUCH worse than what you mentioned. Like David Drake's Lord of the Isles. that series was a total drudge.

6. Archmage

Archmage Guest

I completely forgot about Lord of the Isles ! Yup, that would defintely have to go on my list as well !

7. magze

magze Registered User

Legend Of The Lands Steve Cockayne
    Read all three in the series the most boring books i have ever read in fact not sure if i have the authors name correct i never part with books but gave these to someone who was having a car boot sale :

8. Iskaral Pust

Iskaral Pust Registered User

Found a nice site dedicated to The Fifth Sorcerous:Here
    I particularly reccomend the review and the top ten ways Jordan might die.

9. Archmage

Archmage Guest

While I did agree with websites assessment of Newcomb's lack of writing ability, I felt that the site was simply too mean spirited. I can't respect blantant cruelty.

10. allanon

allanon The Druid

DragonPrince by Melanie Rawn. Awful stuff.

11. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

Legend Of The Lands Steve Cockayne

Odd. If they were really so bad, why did you read all three in this series? The third one is in fact only available as a hardcover, so you must have shelled out big for that one. Or library?

12. Ingen_Jegger

Ingen_Jegger Black Rimmersman

Rather than pick authors who are just not talented. I will go with a few talented ones (that I like) who really dropped the ball:

Winter's Heart, Robert Jordan- this book in no way developed the series. One could read Crossroads of Twilight directly after Path of Daggers and not miss anything.

Fool's Fate, Robin Hobb- Without spoiling anything, I felt the ending was a total cop out.

Conclave of the Shadows, Raymond E Feist- Feist is now at the point where he just kills off major and supporting characters from his old novels for kicks... which is Ok, but then he just reincarnates their personalities and persona into "new" characters. In many cases he doesn't even use new names. How many Jimmy the Hands do we have to have? How many Roberts? It is like watching an acting troupe do a bunch of similar plays. The people are the same, their roles are the same, their personalities are the same, but we are supposed to believe they are different?

All of these authors I enjoy, but find series faults with these works...

Best,
    Joe

13. Ingen_Jegger

Ingen_Jegger Black Rimmersman

How far into the Runelords did you get? What did you not like about it? Just curious...

14. Kanin

Kanin Traveler of Worlds

Archmage,

Just wondering if you read all 6 books after Book two in Sword of Truth? And why would you keep going if you thought each one was the worst book you ever read?

15. Eldanuumea

Eldanuumea Mod Lady

I really do like Sara Douglass a great deal, and thought Wayfarer Redemption one of the best fantasies I had ever read......read my way right through the other five in that series with great enjoyment till the very end.

I almost hate to say this, from what I've seen of the volatile feelings aroused by this writer, but I got about halfway through the first Goodkind book and then just felt it was so amateurishly written it wasn'tworth finishing.
    **ducks for rotten fruit**

16. magze

magze Registered User

Bought all three on special offer from book club and they were all in paper back and once i pick up a book i read it to the bitter end and i just wanted to see if it got any better

17. Priestvyrce

Priestvyrce Registered as What?

I actually enjoyed the the whole trilogy. True , the characters are a bit stiff and the soap opera aspect of the trilogy was slightly over the top, but I think that I liked how Rohan wasn't trying to win by beating his foes into submission, but tried to enlighten and convince them of a better way of life.

18. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

DragonPrince by Melanie Rawn. Awful stuff.

Agreed. This was one of the worst Fantasy books I have read, but more importantly, it must have been one of the very few to actually irritate me as well.

19. Archmage

Archmage Guest

Read up through part of book two, and regretted that. The premise and concepts of the book I found boring and dull. The writing I found to be adequate at best. The characters were adequate. The world building was adequate. The plot was terrible. The magic system was boring and dull. I simply wasn't impressed. I will use a eufamisim that I have used on a few other occassions....It simply wasn't my cup of tea :)

20. Archmage

Archmage Guest

I really find this topic interesting. It is interesting to see the differences in taste. How one person cannot stand a given saga, but another absolutely loves it. I think that is a great thing. Shows how much opinion and taste come into play when judging a work of Fantasy.

I actually really enjoyed the Dragon Prince and Dragon Star Trilogies. I thought the world building was excellent, and I found the magic system to be interesting and different.

Peace :)