Who will finish first?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by ChrisW, Jan 7, 2004.

?

Which series will finish be finished first

1. George R R Martin - aSoIaF

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time

18 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen

34 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

Kinda pointless poll but i'm bored.

2. snake0024

snake0024 An Agent of Chaos

I think it will be Erikson, as he is the only of the authors releasing each of his books once a year, he has an outline of what will happen in each of the books, and hasn't changed his contract to have more books, unlike Jordan and Goodkind who are always writing more and more books, and Martin who is taking ages with a Feast for Crows

3. Eventine

Eventine Uh, Staff Member

I voted Erikson.
    I don't think Terry Goodkind will stop writing while he's getting cash for producing at the level he is now, Martin is struggling to write a sequel in 4 years, I can't see him doing the two after that in rapid succession and I haven't read Jordan so can't comment there.
    Erikson has proven (so far) that he can churn his novels out regularly, and has a reasonably rigid (so far) plan of where he is going. Stranger things have happened.

4. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Registered User

Erikson all the way...

5. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

I voted Jordan. In a online chat he did today he said he is still aiming at finishing the series in two more books making 12 in total. Even with writing two more prequals which he believes will not delay the series, I think he as a chance of beating Erikson to the post.

Erikson has been pumping them out at one a year but he is currently taking a break to write the encylopedia Malazan and I doubt he can keep up the pace of a book a year over the next five years. He could stumble like Martin has or the complexity of his books could cause him to slow down as RJ did. RJ also pumped out five books in five years:).

Goodkind has an outside chance as his contempt for the genre may become so bad that he can't stand to write in it anymore even though he denies his books are fantasy:).

Martin imo has no hope of winning the race.

6. LUKEDAWG

LUKEDAWG New Member

Not a huge fan of Jordan (actually not one really at all) but I wonder if he'll continue on to another series or retire with his truckloads of money, which I as many believe has been squeezed unrighteously from his fans with dribble. Of course I'm going on mostly heresay so I don't want to elaborate too greatly. Did read the first book, and I have to say the epilogue was absolutely fantastic, some of the best fantasy stuff I've ever read. First line was really gripping and eloquent. Unfortunately the rest of the book was a chore to get through.

But anyways I'll go with Jordan to, I think the unruliness of his fans are going to drive this baby to completion shortly.

7. Mithfânion

Mithfânion Lord of the Wild Hunt

I don't know anything about Goodkins, so he's out.

Martin will write at least two more books after Feast. That means it won't be done at least for 5 years.

Jordan's got two more lined up and published the last one a year ago, she he's going to finish sooner. It'll be either Jordan or Erikson.

8. isajeep

isajeep New Member

Do you have a link handy to the transcripts from this interview?

9. ChrisW

ChrisW Banned

Link is in the Jordan forum:).

10. DarthV

DarthV Sith Lord

I'd probably guess Martin... Erikson will be at least 5 more years if he keeps to the 10 books he planned... probably a close race though.

11. Sammie

Sammie The Doctor...

I would guess Erikson. Neither Jordan nor Goodkind will stop so long as they sell, and Martin is aiming at about 7 books, at his present rate means I'LL BE DEAD AND BURIED before he finishes.

*breaks down in weeping wailing sobbing heap of desperation on the floor*

12. Dominus

Dominus Acolyte of Cainism

FOCL

Well, if Erikson is planning on releasing ten, then I'll go to Jordan if he can stick with twelve. IF

Of course, someone may kill Goodkind some day, which would mean the series is done, so who knows? :D

13. Frostmourne

Frostmourne Frosty The Snowman...

There is no force, on earth or heaven, that will make A Song of Ice and Fire finish first. My vote goes to Malazan.

14. Shehzad

Shehzad High Priest of Cainism

OTOH, Erikson's aiming for 10, which means even at the rate of one per year, he'll take 6 years to finish off. Martin has 3 to go, which at the rate of one per 4 years is 12. Jordan has -- maybe two left. Goodkind just oughta be stopped from writing any further... so he should be the first one done.

15. Blackwing

Blackwing New Member

Well, since people still seem to buy both Jordan and Gooodkind's books (my mind boggels) they won't be finishing them anytime soon. My vote goes to Erikson.

16. JohnH

JohnH Abstainer from Foolosophy

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  17. Fader

Fader New Member

I would say Jordan, if for nothing else than he is in danger of losing many, many fans if he doens't wrap it up soon.

I think people will continue to buy his WOT books, since they have invested so much time into them already, but he may not be able to sell another series if he doesn't show that he is capable of wrapping up his story.

I think, like many others have said, that there is absolutely no way that Martin will finish first. I expect to be reading the ending of ASOIAF when I am a middle aged man (I am now 24). As long as the quality remains constant throughout I will patiently wait it out. As long as it is finished before I die, I will be happy.

18. Oorag

Oorag Appy Polly Logies

I default to Erickson.

Martin has a chance. He's taking a long time for Feast of Crows, but probably only because he basically had to start over again. He won't make the same mistake twice, and he only has two books to go after this one. Still, speed isn't a characteristic he's ever been known for.

If Jordan really does just slam out two more books and call it quits, he could do it too. I doubt it. From what I've heard, he doesn't seem to be getting much closer to a resolution.

Goodkind will definately be last to finish. His books don't conform to an over-all story arc, he just makes up each book as he goes along. He could churn out another book at whim, which is basically printing money in his case, so why stop? Besides, he thinks his books are the best thing since Ayn Rand, so he'd probably still be writing them if he had to publish them in his own garage.

Erickson isn't beset by any of the problems of these other authors, that I know of, so I default to him.

19. ezchaos

ezchaos Next to Arch Stanton

I have no idea what most of these authors plans are for the length of their series but I'll give a guess.

I'd have to go with Jordan for finishing first. For as ridiculously long I think the Wot is, I can't think that Jordan would want to continue on for much longer (but then what do I know).

I don't know what Goodkind's plans are for the SoT. I've only read WFR and stayed away from the rest of his stuff. For all I know, he could be almost finished with this series.

God knows how long Martin is going to take. Unless book 5 comes out relatively quickly, I think we're looking at many more years for aSoIaF.

I believe Erickson has many more books planned for his series and I don't see how he can keep up the pace. Especially with the average length of each book.

20. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Would be writer? Sure.

Goodkind will never finish since then he would have to dream up a new world and he says that he isn't a "world builder."
    Jordan will never finish but keep the Third Age rolling along till it rolls along again.
    Martin: His books are massive and he may break an arm trying to pick one up (along with his foot once it slips from his broken arm and lands on his foot). Thus, he'll be out of commission for a year.
    So, by default, it will be Erikson.