Who's your favourite standup comedian?

Discussion in 'Other Media (TV/Film, Comics & Games)' started by saintjon, Jan 12, 2012.

1. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

Billy Connelly's bit about swimming in the North Sea is one of the funniest things ever!

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

I've got to say I'm ashamed I missed another comedian.

I think he's great on panel shows like QI, but his stand up is... unique. It's Bill Bailey, of course! I have Dandelion Mind on DVD and whilst I found it to be largely average, when he's funny he's extremely so. The way he melds music and comedy is genius.

Clip of him talking about ambulance sirens

3. Nikolas

Nikolas New Member

Pablo Francisco, Bill Burr, and Frank Caliendo.

Caliendo gets a lot of crap for his scripted TV show, which was bad, but his stand-up has always been great.

4. kahnovitch

kahnovitch Kiss my axe!

Some of the old greats; Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Dave Allen, George Carlin and Denis Leary (new stuff not so good).

Also a fan of Bill Bailey, The Big Yin, Lee Evans, Jeff Dunham (ventriloquist) and Chris Rock.

5. saintjon

I liked Jeff Dunham better about... man it must have been like 20 years ago. Before anyone knew who he was he used to go on Just for Laughs and he would work his ass off! He used to run about 6 or 7 of those puppets at a time, it was crazy.

6. saintjon

I think this is my favourite bit from this thread that I didn't know about before!

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

He's great. He's on QI with some regularity, too, and he's *insanely* clever.

8. Quimby

Quimby yep

Dave Attell and Jim Gaffigan are pretty damn funny.

9. saintjon

hhhHHOOOOOT pocket....

Jim Gaffigan has a lot of auto-appeal for me just based on how much he talks about food.

Whenever something I find ironic or potentially humorous happens in the news I'm always eager to hear Chris Rock's take on it. On pretty much everything except his reaction to Chris Brown beating up Rihanna he really hits the nail on the head (he wasn't THAT far off how I felt about the whole Rihanna thing either at the end of the day)

10. saintjon

Here's something fun you may not have heard: a sample of Jim Florentine's Terrorizing Telemarketers series! Florentine gets a lot of telemarketers calling where he lives so him and his buddies decided to set up recording equipment, prank the hell out of them and then sell recordings of the hilarious results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRV6edOYAz8&feature=related

He's got a whole bunch of sample calls you can listen to on his website www.jimflorentine.com under the audio clips tab (Pole Guy from album 5 is probably my favourite).

11. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Staff

Been watching Seinfeld this morning, and I've got to say I quite like the bits of his own standup - some very, very funny ideas.

12. sic's mom

sic's mom I want to be a princess

I have to say my favorite right now would have to be Christopher Titus. Especially his latest CD "Neverlution" He always makes me laugh so hard I cry.

13. TrujilloA

TrujilloA New Member

Fluffy aka Gabriel Iglesias! He's funny and very cute, he's not offensive or anything and his humor is very light and nice. he's awesome!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  14. russdire

russdire New Member

George Carlin was the funniest man to ever live in my opinion and humanity laughs less without him on this Earth! Lately, Louis CK has been making me laugh! Check him out on netflix!

15. Rexington

Rexington Bookaholic

Gabriel Iglesias is my current fav! He is hilarious and I can watch him with the family and not worry about offending anybody.

Stephen Lynch is also really good.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Dmitri Martin or Bill Engvall

16. miahskeeper

miahskeeper New Member

I like Brian Regan and Jim Gaffigan. Both are hilarious and I can watch them with my family and not worry about being offended.

17. Mr. Aware Eagle

Mr. Aware Eagle Registered User

I've seen both Louis CK and Mike Birbiglia live-- I'd say they are my two favorites. I also love Bill Cosby, especially "Himself." I also like include Patton Oswalt and Mitch Hedberg,