WORST sci-fi ever

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by lemming, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Aik Haw

Aik Haw Mystic Cyborg

The worst, I have to nominate Battlefield Earth. I was so entrenched by ads that I actually bought the book, than left it in my grandma's home with the hope she will donate it to some worthy organisation.

What can I say. The science is mostly flawed( read his human biology, the astrophysics he assumes exist and also his geology ). The way he assumes history works is also flawed (he assumes the model template for history is liken to that of the founding of the USA. ). His assumption of human interaction is also flawed( people in panic do not behave the way he describes ). The only good thing in the story is the economic template he uses, but even so it only looks nice in theory.

How can that book become a movie????

2. estranghero

estranghero Lord Deceiver

John Travolta is a very rich, very strong supporter of Scientology, the religious cult founded by L. Ron Hubbard (the writer of BE).

3. wranlon

wranlon New Member

Speaking of our "favorite" author, L. Ron, I consider any Mission Earth book to be much worse than Battlefield Earth.

Sultan Gris(sp?) taking a variety of drugs, participating in heavy S&M, and being in explicit situations with a pre-teen lesbian hooker?

At least Battlefield Earth wasn't so depraved.

4. horribleman

horribleman I can see in the dark

I too cannot fathom the praise that Zelazny has got. I was persuaded to buy 'Lord of Light' and the first five 'Chronicles of Amber' by rave reviews, recommendations etc. I struggled to finish the first of the Amber stories and have now decided to return Lord of Light unread to the bookshop based on the comments in this thread.

His writing style is ok, but he seems to write as though a comic book.

The scenes where magic happen is Amber are just like in a kid's story - things just happen and would probably look good on a cartoon. I guess this comes from the period he was writing in.

Neverness too I half read. I intend to finish it one day, but the main character seems thick. POSS SPOILER:
    'The secret of immortality in in the oldest human DNA' or whatever, so he goes with a party to live with a group of highly evolved humans that have been cut (physically and biologically) to return to neanderthal state and collects jizz and stuff?

If they were really the people to get the DNA from, why not just get a discarded sample of clothing and get out of there instead of staying for months?

The rest of the book was really good (The description of the Vild and the mystery surrounding this) but I put it down after this. Was I stupid to put this book down? are the sequels as daft?

5. cgw

cgw Registered User

Lord of Light is not really anything like the Amber books but still very much the same author. I recommend both highly, but if you don't like it - you don't like it.

I liked Battlefield Earth enough to buy the first Mission Earth (if that was the name) book. I think got about 1/4 the way through it (the first book) before I bailed. What was that??

6. Waylander

Waylander Wayward Webmaster

I agree 100% it makes "Battlefield Earth" look like lord of the rings

7. user123

user123 New Member

One of the worst, if not in fact THE WORST sci-fi I ever read was Holy Fire by Bruce Sterling. That book is a complete waste of time, those are hours I really wish I could get back.

8. Chr1sto

Chr1sto New Member

Well, this is not original, but Battlefield Earth sucked. Yes, I did finish the entire book, but more out of morbid curiousity than anything else. His hero is just too good to be true, and the aliens too stupid for words to describe. The hero never faced any real challenges at all. And the only good thing about the movie was that it only used about a third of the book.
    I never even attempted the Mission:Earth novels.

9. Olivaw

Olivaw Humaniform Robot

First of all, I have to admit, I loved Battlefield Earth. The movie sucked pretty hard, but I think part 2 would be much better (don't think they'll ever make it.)

This would be probably be classified under fantasy (but 'The Initiative' makes it a bit sci-fi too), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the books. I love the show, but the books are too painful to read, they chose a host of ass-tastic authors to pen these adaptations.

Olivaw

10. fortytwo

fortytwo New Member

This is my dark secret too. I enjoyed Battlefield Earth.
    I also read 9 of the Mission:Earth series, and I don't know why (my psychiatrist might ) it was a load of cobblers - it must have been a masochistic fascination to see if there was a point to it all.

11. Pirate Jenn

Pirate Jenn New Member

I must admit to loving Zelazny. I devoured the Amber books.

However, I read them when I was 14, so. :: shrug:: Who knows what I'd think, now. I enjoyed the dreamy feel and the sense that any weird thing might happen. My dad's set of the Chronicles had two volumes...and I seem to remember not liking the second set as much. I loved the whole Trump card thing and the family mystery.

12. Pirate Jenn

Pirate Jenn New Member

Oh, and worst so-far is *Speaker for the Dead*, by Card. (Which, probably, demonstrates that I've not read a ton in this genre) Really, I dislike HG Wells' Time Machine even more...but, as it's a classic and was written forever ago, I'll give him some leeway.

13. Jedi

Jedi Darth Frodo

I struggled through 3/4 of Nightfall, by Asimov and Robert Silverberg, before giving up. An interesting storyline, let down by predictable characterisation, and dull narrative.

This is my impression of most of Asimov's work, but Nightfall is the only one I have binned without finishing!

14. fortytwo

fortytwo New Member

The different styles between Ender's Game and the rest of the series has caused a lot of discussion here.I thought the way the story developed was brilliant (but he is one of my favourite authors) Many people were dissatisfied, expecting more of the same in Speaker.. but Ender matured and this was reflected in the final 3 books.

I am convinced that Nightfall was much better as a short story, it has a terrific theme (in my opinion )

15. Guymelef

Guymelef New Member

I got 80 or so pages into Hamilton's Reality Dysfunction and couldnt read anymore. Id pick it up and think to myself "but its supposed to get better" read another sentence and put it down again.

Ive read 4 culture books so far and liked them all, but the end of CP was a little drawn out (if you even got that far). Id probably put Player of Games at the top, but i was obsessed with the idea of the game more than anything.

16. Fanco

Fanco New Member

I would say that you need to read something like 150-200 pages of a Hamilton trilogy before you get into the plot, and you also need to read them whithout too long time in between reading sessions since there are so many different characters and sub plots that he weave together. I absoluteley love everything* he's written but none of my friends have been able to get through them so maybe it is a question of perseverence or maybe it is just taste... Though I must say that the sex scenes in the nights dawn trilogy I could certainly do without...

*The worst book that I have ever read would probably be Misspent Youth by Hamilton. Irritating, infuriating and unplausable, what kind of dad would do such things? Though he gets points for involving me as a reader but in the end I just felt that it was stupid...

17. xcessive

xcessive Registered User

I typically do a lot of research before I read a book, to make sure I'm not wasting my time, thus I haven't read to many bad books. HOWEVER I ill-advisedly tried reading some books based on Magic: The Gathering (I used to play as a kid). It was basically a bunch of fantasy and scifi cliches jammed together with questionable writing quality failing to tie anything together...

18. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Live Long & Suffer

I am not interested in perseverance if I am supposed to enjoy reading. I give an author 50 pages to get me hooked or I find another book. I don't read sci-fi to do work. But putting interesting science into a book is not work to me.

psik

19. winterkill

winterkill Registered User

This is an interesting topic. I'll nominate a few different ones for different reasons.

The Novel "Dragon's Egg" by Robert L Forward for fulfilling the stereotype about science fiction being cheesy and having terrible characterization and dialogue. The story itself is actually fairly interesting, but parts of this novel were so dorky it made we wince at times.

A lot of you will probably disagree with the next two, but..

Anything by Kim Stanley Robinson just for being insufferably dull. Never been able to finish a book by him.

Asimov, for being vastly overrated.

20. suciul

suciul Read interesting books

The above post is very interesting because while I agree with a lot of the criticism there (yes, Robert Forward was a writer that makes the current bestseller hacks like Patterson or Follett look like Nabokov, but he wrote some of the greatest hard sf ever with his neutron star civilization, yes Asimov today is close to unreadable after age 12, but what he did for the fledgling fields of both sf and pop-science is incalculable and yes KSR is quite dull on occasion, but he wrote seminal stuff nonetheless), it shows that sf has always been the cutting edge of writing - not in style but in content and innovation - and as those have now been thoroughly assimilated in mainstream culture and literature today - the literary qualities which were much less relevant at the time started becoming of importance...

Back on topic, I would say that in terms of worst (known) sf ever, nothing comes close to Ron Hubbard's later books (eg Battlefield earth, Mission Earth etc) though like with the North Korean movies of my childhood, they are so bad to be unbelievable funny on many occasions...