Writer most similar to Joe Abercrombie?

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by HatchetHarry, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Barnes

Barnes Registered User

I'm with you there Jamieem, Glokta is probably my favorite all time Fantasy character.

2. jamieem

jamieem weightless astronaut

It's a typo, calm down.

3. Evil Agent

Evil Agent Saturn Comes Back Around

Actually, you're right. This isn't just a typo. This is a very common mistake. I've noticed that people write Glotka about 90% of the time, on message boards. In fact, I thought that was his name at first... until I read more closely and realized I had it wrong.

I think Glotka is easier to say than Glokta. But I like the correct version better. It sounds more like the gun ("glock"), whereas the incorrect way sounds like a Russian name.

4. Stromkern

Stromkern Registered User

Evil Agent is absolutely right - almost anyone commenting on that character anywhere on the web is "typoing" it.

And it is extremely annoying, especially to people like me with understanding of slavic languages.
    Mainly because it not only sounds, but it IS russian. It's not a name though - it's part of the human anatomy, "pharynx".

Now, how dare you call such a great character Pharynx, damnit! ;)

5. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Glotka, Glokta..either way, the character is absolutely genius.

6. Sfinx

Sfinx Life's a riddle

Martin, Lynch are good suggestions, Richard Morgan as well - though you may enjoy his SF (especially the Kovacs novels) better than his fantasy (The Steel Remains). I'd also heartily recommend Fritz Leiber's Ffahrd and the Gray Mouser series - not as graphic as Abercrombie, but still similar (and - don't read on Joe - even better)

As to the side-thread: Glotka is a great character, still think Loogen rules though ;)

Cheers,

Sfinx.

7. Seegee

Seegee Registered User

Firstly it's Glokta (the regular misspelling bugs me, too) and secondly if you're looking for work that is similar to Abercrombie, and I know someone else suggested it, but I'd second it try Glen Cook's Black Company series. Steven Erikson has cited this as an influence on his work and I'd be very surprised if Joe had never read any of them before he wrote The First Law trilogy.

8. saintjon

saintjon Illustrious Gambler

I came into this thread hoping Joe would comment with something funny like usual and the guy does not disappoint.

9. Ornery Wyvern

Ornery Wyvern 50% Certain

Hmmm, personally while I enjoy Erikson I don't feel its similar, while the contents may be of a similar vein the writing styles are very different imo. I think Joe's work is much more accessible.

10. MattNY

MattNY Registered User

Agreed, that was my hope when I checked it the first time as well. :D

I agree as well, though I have only read a sample of Erikson. I got through about the first hundred pages of Gardens of the Moon and decided that while I didn't hate it, I was not in the mood for it currently. I plan on going back, but the writing style that I noticed of Erikson's is completely different than Abercrombie's.

11. hawkeyye

hawkeyye Registered User

I think the difference is that Joe's style is much more personal. I felt like I knew Logen and Glokta and Dogman, etc. I never felt like I knew Quick Ben and cast. Makes the books much more emotional for me.

12. Ornery Wyvern

Ornery Wyvern 50% Certain

Personally - to go a little off topic - I found that Gardens of the Moon rallied astonishingly in the second half for me, I felt like I was floundering in the first half of the book, but the second half was highly entertaining. I've only read the first 2 books, but will read the rest, not a favorite but definitely a writer I enjoy, and I can understand the ardor of many here.

13. mickyg

mickyg Registered Lurker

Cooks Garrett series is good too - less epic than the Black Company and more character focused (if possible).

14. jamieem

Jesus...

15. Seegee

Seegee Registered User

I tried the Garrett's years ago, but couldn't get into them. I think they were kind of Raymond Chandler set in a fantasy world.

16. hh2k3

hh2k3 Registered User

Yeah, those are the ones... those are great... the next one, Gilded Latten Bones, is due out Nov 2, 2010, according to Amazon...

(Latten is brass or tin in thin sheets, apparently... I almost never have to look stuff up, but that one I didn't know...)

HH

17. bproven

bproven New Member

You might like this (underappreciated IMO) book and series:

Heroes Die (Matthew Woodring Stover)

Yes, cheesy cover art but great story that has elements simliar to the The First Law series... Give it a shot.

18. jamieem

19. farseer2

farseer2 Registered User

:D

Dominant Ideology Thesis? That sounds like one of R. Scott Bakker's books. Or was it The Thousandfold Thought?

Disclaimer: Bakker is also a very interesting writer, but not really similar to Joe Abercrombie.

Disclaimer 2: I know Bakker is not similar to Abercrombie because I just looked for their pictures using Google, and I was surprised to see that Abercrombie is a young man. Bakker is young too, but in Joe Abercrombie's case I was surprised because, for some reason, while reading his books I had imagined that he was a grumpy and sarcastic old fellow (kind of like Inquisitor Glotka). I don't know if he is grumpy and sarcastic, but he is not old...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  20. Stromkern

Stromkern Registered User

Actually, Glokta is about the same age as Joe in The First Law - middle thirties.