Writers Writing Resources

Discussion in 'Writing' started by Radthorne, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Window Bar

Window Bar We Read for Light

Chriswilmsmeyer's work

Hello chriswilmsmeyer -- I've just now visited your site, and I'm blown away. The video preview is not only artistically done, but it's uber-compelling. Thank you for posting.

-- WB

2. Chris_KW

Chris_KW Registered User

Thanks, WB. :)

I've been working for several months to arrange my schedule so that I can predominantly work in this field. My main goal is pretty simple: expand my presence in the writing community by working with writers and publishers.

Also, since I just started and my portfolio for writers isn't extensive, I'm willing to do the first couple of projects for up to 50% off of my listed prices.

I may need to put a new profile pic on my site, though. I've been told that one scares people off. (lol) Please spread the word and if you're interested, drop me a line.

Chris

3. Mickief

Mickief Yankee Girl in France

Sorry, but I have to agree that you need to change your profile photo, and do so ASAP.

It's the only part of your site that is unprofessional. I don't see any reason to handicap your fledgling business over something so easily remedied. (I'm sure it's representative of the "real" you, but it just isn't representative of good business image.)

Otherwise, when the time comes, I may be coming your way with some work. (If, that is, you're still around in a year or so...)

:)

4. Chris_KW

Chris_KW Registered User

Okay, got something a bit more personable up there. It's temporary, but it can hold down the fort for now.

:)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  5. Severn

Severn boss of several cats...

First Draft in 30 Days by Karen S. Wiesner is doing some remarkable things in my married friends' writing lives - as in its completely transformed how they write their novels; they're both now a lot more productive. At first I was sceptical, but now I'm going to get a copy myself.

6. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

For those that are finished writing and plan on submitting queries this is handsdown the best resource it is a free short written by legendary agent Noah Lukeman (who also is an author on good writing books such as The First Five Pages, A Dash of Style, and The Plot Thickens)

7. EricaW

EricaW Registered User

One book I remember reading a while back that might provide some interesting insights into female psychology--particularly if one has a human or non-human character they're writing who is a mother--is Mother Nature by Sarah Blaffer Hrdy. Lots of explorations of the biology and sociology of different styles of mothering and the choices mothers make in different cultures (and across different animal species).

8. Cirias

Cirias Wirt's Fourth Leg

9. Chris_KW

Chris_KW Registered User

Sorry, forgot that I left this up here and they're not big on these kinds of links. :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  10. AZimmer23

AZimmer23 Things Fall Apart

Lots of good info here. Thanks!

11. AZimmer23

Write it Sideways

One resource I find fairly useful is the website Write it Sideways. It was founded by a woman residing in Australia and while it is not genre specific, there are a lot of great tips by her and other writers, as well as opportunities to submit excerpts for critique by the community. I have yet to see a sci-fi or fantasy excerpt, but I highly doubt that the site would turn one away.

Anyway, the site has a lot of great advice on everything from overcoming writer's block to fleshing out characters to getting published.

I apologize if I am repeating something said earlier; I'm new to the site and haven't looked at every entry in this thread.

Cheers!

12. AZimmer23

I'm not a huge King fan, but this book really helped me out in more ways than one. Specifically, the sections in which he talks about his alcohol and drug addiction reverberated with me most soundly. He first debunks the myth of writing and booze going hand-in-hand stating that such an idea was primarily based on Hemingway and Fitzgerald (amongst others) and neither of them had happy endings.

I have struggled with drug addiction in the past and am recently sober and I have found that I am actually a much, much better writer when my system is clean and my brain free of fog.

But that is not the only reason the book is a fantastic resource. King points out so many little things that can make all the difference. I highly recommend it.

Also, it's not a long read; it can easily be consumed over a few evenings or a weekend.

13. zachariah

zachariah Speaks fluent Bawehrf

For all you historical naval fantasy fans, this is about as exhaustive a list of old warship parts as you could wish to see.

14. zachariah

zachariah Speaks fluent Bawehrf

It's kind of depressing that spammers are probably the ones most likely to be at the forefront of AI research.

15. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

Didn't notice, Kerlinda was still at it. Banned.

16. N. E. White

N. E. White tmso Staff Member

Hey, psikeyhackr posted this over in the science fiction forum, but this article on neuroscience made me realize all the things about writing all my writing teachers have told me in the past is absolutely true. The words we choose should strive to evoke an emotional response. For good reason. It turns out when we read, it is like experiencing it in real life. Instinctively, I guess I already knew that, but it is neat to see science back that up. :)

17. sullivan_riyria

sullivan_riyria Creator of Worlds

I recently read King's "On Writing" and was amazed at the similarities between what he does and myself. In particular writing in the morning to lunch and taking long walks to work stuff out. In particular the little write up about his accident is some of the best writing I've seen by anyone...emotional...well written. Just reading that is a great example of how to write well.

18. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Man of Ways and Means

Thanks for that!

19. Cirias

Cirias Wirt's Fourth Leg

I have recently published the first part of a series on creating fantasy maps in GIMP. You can check it out here.

20. secluded

secluded Breaker of Walls

Premodern weapons. Some are only descriptions, but most have images.
    Here