Zombies / Zombies in Fantasy? (merged)

Discussion in 'Fantasy / Horror' started by BigAl, Jun 2, 2008.

1. BigAl

BigAl ????

A few days ago I just finished World War z. It was the best Zombie, well the only zombie novel I've read so far and it rocks!! I'm a big fan of all the Zombie flicks. You know night of the living dead and so on. I hope they make this one a movie. Anyone else know of any other Zombie books let me know.

2. Dayne

Dayne Registered User

There's David Wellington's zombie trilogy that starts with Monster Island. It's an interesting series and the first book is the best one IMO. There are some supernatural elements in the story though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but some prefer the strictly traditional zombies.

Then there's the Morningstar Strain series by Z.A. Recht, which starts with Plague of the Dead. That one is good too, and has an interesting mix of both slow zombies, and fast infected persons, like in 28 days later.

Another one I'd recommend is Joe McKinney's Dead City. That's probably the zombie book I've read that best made you feel that there were thousands of zombies that just kept showing up all over the place.

3. BigAl

BigAl ????

Thanks Dayne I'll definatley look them up. I ride a train into work so I get plenty of time to read lots of books.:D

4. BigAl

BigAl ????

Hey Dayne have you had a chance to read World War Z. I just looked up those books you recommended on amazon. They look real good. Thanks again.

5. Dayne

Dayne Registered User

I haven't had a chance to read World War Z yet, but it's definately on my wish list. I've heard really good things about it.

6. Pulp

Pulp Irradiated

I'm in the middle of Stephen King's CELL. Not exactly zombies, but close enough.

7. VikingBeard

VikingBeard New Member

Brian Keen's dualogy The Rising and City of the Dead. He won Stoker awards for both I believe. I know he did for the first.

8. Dayne

Dayne Registered User

These always seem to get a lot of praise, and I'm sure that they are quite good, but I haven't read them myself yet. I'm just not all that interested in smart zombies or possessed zombies, as I think it is in these books. His Dead Sea on the other hand is a quite good zombie novel, in a slightly more traditional way.

9. AuntiePam

AuntiePam Cranky old broad

I tried The Rising but didn't get very far. Just too unbelievable, which is a stupid thing to say about a zombie novel, but there ya go. :)

I liked Dead in the West by Joe Lansdale, a zombie western.

10. Barnes

Barnes Registered User

You could try David Moody's Autumn series, I believe the first book is a free download on his web site.

Day by Day Armageddon by J.L Bourne & Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth are both pretty good.

11. bigbry

bigbry New Member

I'll second as these are OK but not really zombies but possessed dead

Day by day is great!!!! World War z has been optioned for a movie. Also check out Brook's Zombie Survivors Guide. most excellent!!!!!

PS: LOVED Dead In The West. If you can pick it up, do so. I got mine on ebay for a steal.......

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  12. Azeryk

Azeryk New Member

I loved Brian keene's The Rising and City of the Dead books, yes their not the traditional zombies but they are well written and interesting books which are hard to put down once you get into them :)

13. cougs

cougs I like spaceships

Kinda late, but I figured I would add some input.

The Living Dead - Edited by John Joseph Adams. Overall a good collection of zombie short fiction. Some stories reminiscent of a George Romero flick full of classic zombie hordes lusting for brains while others are much more subtle often portraying zombies in a refreshing original way.

14. AuntiePam

AuntiePam Cranky old broad

A nice collection of zombie/ghoul stories is Book of the Dead, edited by Skipp and Spector.

How do you folks define zombie? When I was growing up, a zombie was a reanimated corpse, voodoo was the power source, and whoever did the voodoo controlled the zombie. It seems the definition has changed, maybe after Night of the Living Dead.

15. Papazak

Papazak Escapist

Necromancy plays a big part in raising the dead in most fantasy novels.

I guess that's not how I seen it as a kid though, I remember my mom telling me that they were infected and I always thought it was a sickness only dead people got.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  16. Papazak

Papazak Escapist

Zombies in Fantasy?

I have read a few fantasy books with zombies in them, and I am hoping to find more!! I love zombie movies and really enjoy seeing them in my favorite books.

-There are zombies in Piers Anthony's Xanth series but they are not flesh eating or dangerous , therefore boring.
    -I really enjoyed Christie Golden's "Dance of the Dead".
    -Also Kate Forsyth's "Rhiannon's Ride" has a brief encounter with zombies which was enough to get my heart racing!

-After a search on this forum I seen
    George Mann's "Affintity Bridge"
    Max Brooks "World War Z"
    I will probably read these two but I prefer to find ones in a fantasy setting.

-Also I found
    Tim Power's "On stranger tides" Which really sounds good, I like sea-faring adventures!
    :confused:And a reference on Martin's books containing zombies, would anyone know more about which of his books has them in it?

:D Not to sound greedy but I'm hoping someone will know of more fantasy novels with zombies!?!?! Necromancy is quickly becoming a popular subject so I am always on the lookout!

17. Dirvani

Dirvani Registered User

Martin does, indeed, have zombies in his ASoIaF series. I'm currently reading it and there has already been a brief encounter with them in A Clash of Kings. I'm only about halfway through the book, so I'm sure they'll be popping up again, if not in this book, then in one of the following books. I don't know if they're going to play a huge role or not though, if that's what you're looking for. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

As for other novels with zombies, the Xanth series is the only other fantasy I've read which features them, which you already mentioned, and I agree with your sentiments about them.

18. jamieem

jamieem weightless astronaut

Not read it yet, but I believe Richard Morgan has incorporated a form of Zombie into the Steel Remains.

The infection method sounded novel, to me anyway...

19. Randy M.

Randy M. Registered User

A bit lateral to the topic: I've heard that Lucius Shepard's first novel, Green Eyes, is an s.f. novel dealing with zombies.

Randy M.

20. Boiler

Boiler Registered User

there are zombie-like creatures in robin hobbs first fitz trilogy (farseer)