View Full Version : Dragonlance Movie?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Monty Mike
March 22nd, 2005, 05:24 AM
I've heard rumors of a Dragonlance Movie, but I don't know how true they are. Has anyone else heard anything? I'm really curious.....

Kanin
March 22nd, 2005, 07:12 AM
Wizards of the Coast staffer Peter Archer said at GenCon (2003) that the option out on Dragonlance was held by a major film studio and that a script had been produced based on Dragons of Autumn Twilight. He also went on to point out that the studio is not the same one that released the D&D movie (New Line, also responsible for Lord of the Rings), and that they were interested in involving Margaret and Tracy in the project.

It looks like this project may now simply be another to add to the already long list of false starts for Dragonlance screen projects. Although it's currently unconfirmed, rumor has it that at GenCon (2004), Margaret Weis let it be known that the option on Dragonlance had now lapsed. The studio involved has reportedly decided to pursue other projects.

Given that it has been two years since the original announcement, it's actually not that surprising that the option has now lapsed. Options are by their very nature, time-limited devices, and 12 months is the industry standard (with the option to renew for further periods by paying more). The fact that two years have gone by without even a squeak from the option holders never boded well for this project getting off the ground.

So where does this leave a Dragonlance movie project. Probably in the same place it's been for the past 8 years Limboland. There is of course still Tracy's spec script, but it certainly doesn't inspire confidence in the bean-counters that a major studio went as far as paying for an option, only to abandon the project two years down the track.

Still, it took them more than 20 years to bring Lord of the Rings to the screen as a live-action film, so all we need is another Peter Jackson to come along in the future...

Evil Agent
March 23rd, 2005, 12:47 AM
Hmm..maybe they're afraid people will slam it as a LOTR-rip off. However, I did read the first 3 books, and I think they might actually make a damn good movie! They'd probably be quite easy to adapt.

Kanin
July 31st, 2005, 06:22 PM
The first three (Chronicles) and the second three (Legends) would make great movies. But, we need an A-list director to bring it about.

BlackCauldron
July 31st, 2005, 09:19 PM
This is definitely something I'd be interested in. Is there nothing new to report on this? How seriously is it being considered?

Evil Agent
August 1st, 2005, 02:18 PM
I think they'd be pretty cool, on the big screen, as long as they weren't a travesty like the D&D movie. (shudder).

I think Tasslehoff and Tanis could be really cool, and the aerial dragon battle scenes would be amazing with someone like WETA or ILM in charge.

Kanin
August 1st, 2005, 06:49 PM
I think we would all love to see WETA making the armor and weapons for the movie.

WETA is definitely a company on the rise.

CorkyThroat
August 24th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Greetings all.

A source close to myself has divulged some information about the future of the DL films...

It seems that a major studio, that shall at this time remain nameless to protect their integrity and the future of the project, has a script for the Autumn Twilight movie. It will be an animated full length feature, and with what I have heard about the writer, it will be AMAZING. Note, this is NOT the Hickman/Weis script, but a remarkably faithful adaptation.

I, for one, cannot WAIT - as it is slated for a possible 06 release.....

Thutup Mark...

darkdragon028
January 25th, 2006, 04:25 AM
:confused: ...How do you know a movie is coming out based on the Autumn Twilight book? I searched for you claim to see if there is any truth in it. I found nothing on this. Prove yourself and give us the info that you got your information.

Leiali
January 25th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I would love to see a Dragonlance movie, particularly the Chronicles. However I am not keen on animation and would be disappointed if that were the result. Compare the old animated Lord of the Rings to the Peter Jackson version for example.

There are plenty of smaller scale fantasy films being produced with pretty awful story lines, it seems to me that one with a good plot that they were faithful to, just needs a good director and scriptwriter...not sure an a lister always gets it right anyway.