PDA

View Full Version : Quirk?... style?... Something like that :)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Bardos
July 14th, 2001, 06:39 AM
I've noticed that all writers have some... quirks. Eg, some things that usually happen in their books; somethings all their characters say, or the way their characters act is similar. Now, I don't mean to say that all their characters act the same way, but that somethings they do the same way, or tell the same way, even if all of them have a diffrent personality. So you get the feeling the writer is "behind" the characters (sometimes more obvious, sometimes less). Of course, each writer should have his/her style, but my question is ('cause methinks I'm ranting now http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif) How can you figure out --by yourself-- your quirk, as a writer?? And perhaps avoid them, so to make your characters more different one from the other?

I hope you get what I mean... http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Xayn
July 14th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Have each of your characters be based on some actual person you know (have that real person before your mind's eye when you write about that character), and give that character that person's behavior (mimic, gestures, smoker/non-smoker, chuckler/laugher/giggler, intro-/extroverted, talk-a-lot/silent guy, degree of education influencing language, ...)
Be perceptive when you're amongst folks; watch them.

[This message has been edited by Xayn (edited July 14, 2001).]

KATS
July 14th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Bardos, I don't think there is a simple answer. The only advice I can give is to try to be objective when you edit and reread the story. Given time and experience, hopefully you develope an eye for those quirks.

Hans
July 14th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Its a diffcult questions. One which I have been leaving till I finish my book, re-read, and then re-writing.

But you can use different accents, e.g how the scottish pronouce words, the welsh, etc. Many writers, for the peasants in the stories use e.g aye, nay, wha, etc.

But one piece of advice I was given is that to write the expression of someones face is harder to write, because you can only say so much about the expressions. I was told to use hand movement, style of walking, running, moving there head, if they move there hands a lot when talking, shoulder relaxing. Every person has there own habits, (I have an habit of always biting the skin of my lips). All these little habits can make the character seem different from others, and make him appear more real. Most authors always talk about the expression on the face. But if you want to make you character more real you must show more about them.

Erebus
July 14th, 2001, 03:22 PM
I believe it is also possible that there's a little bit of the authors' own persona in every character they create, as well as a few from those close to them, or from strangers they may see in the street etc.

Observing people for their quirks and mannerisms is a great way to establish individual traits for your story's main characters. I'm not saying that you copy someone's personality per se, but mixing a few together can often result in a fun character, which you can then mold any way you like.