PDA

View Full Version : archetypes/stereotypes/ stock characters?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

marymoonshine
March 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
i need help i want to know more about archetypes/ stereotypes/ stock characters i know the usual - king, priest, whore, virigin, mother/father, wise old man, fool , shadow, animus, self , child etc. was just wondering if anyone knew any more. i would be grateful for replies.

choppy
March 22nd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Beware of opinion.

The best way to learn about stereotypical characters is to do a lot of reading and form your own opinions. For example a lot of people may say that the "poor hero" character who turns out to be a prince, is cliche - and you won't really get much argument here. But the thing is, people keep reading about that kind of character for a reason. It's a staple of the genre. And even though on the surface such a character may come across as cliche, you as a reader may find that that isn't your opinion, because the author gives enough insight and develops the character to such an extent that the character becomes a unique entity to you.

michaelS0620
March 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Look up Jung for some information on archetypes. Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand Faces or the more readable interview with Bill Moyers for more archetypes. Besides, I have always thought of archetypes, stereotypes, and stock characters as different things. Sure certain archetypes have become stock characters in fantasy and sci fi, but I don't think they map 1-to-1.

Some that I can think of off the top of my head...

The farmboy who is becomes King or leader (mentioned by choppy).
The rogue with a heart of gold (Think Han Solo)
Damsel in Distress
Grumpy Dwarves
Wise old Elves
Hypocritical, power hungry Priests

Just curious, why do you need these lists? Are you looking to use such characters, to avoid them, or is this a homework assignment? :)

MrBF1V3
March 23rd, 2005, 12:39 AM
There is always the hero who's given up or retired and someone has to come convince him to take care of one last villain. (Which he does, but then he dies) The chaste whore; see Pretty Woman ("I never kiss on the lips.")--or the most famous, Miss Kitty from Gunsmoke (who just runs a saloon, wink, wink). The best friend who loves his friends' spouse more than he does. The hero who doesn't want to get involved until the bad guys do something really bad to him, or someone close to him.

The list goes on, but this is a start.

B5

marymoonshine
March 23rd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Look up Jung for some information on archetypes.

Just curious, why do you need these lists? Are you looking to use such characters, to avoid them, or is this a homework assignment? :)

ive already found out as much as i could on the jungian archetypes.

i was just curious about how many different characters i could possibly make, and how many are out there. i could possibly use some but at the moment i'm just trying to find out how many there actually are.

archtypes , stock character and stereotypes are different things but they all derive to a similar points, that being that there are simialr traits in people (I.e the goddess/ mother etc), not just in literature but also in real life.
The only stock characters i could find out about were ones from Comedie Del' Arte

Prunesquallor
March 23rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
I'm no expert, but I think "stock character" is such a general term that you won't find a list.
Evil genious, jealous lover, dashing hero.......wait a minute, I just found a list!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_characters