PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on title...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

juzzza
March 24th, 2005, 09:15 AM
In my infinite laziness...

I am thinking of editing a completed novel-length Fantasy MS I have, before continuing on with my Grand Opus.

Once I have de-cliche'd the thing, and put it through the POV service, I have a good quest tale about what happens AFTER a heroic age, and the legacy left behind by these so-called heroes.

I want to call it 'BASTARDS' but fancy getting your opinions on A) how you feel about the title and B) how agents would feel?

When you're ready.

Cheers

;)

MrBF1V3
March 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Titles can be tricky. They are the "first impression" of what you write. Sometimes I have a really cool title, something which comes right up to the point of making sense, sometimes not so much.

"Bastards" sounds good to me, especially if you can put it in an olde English font, (love the accent). You may want to attempt a few variant spellings.

I would not be surprised if an agent would want to shy away from it, wanting you to call it "Rascals" or something like that. You never know.

B5

juzzza
March 24th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Well, that's the thing see... I want bastards to mean a few things, yes some of the characters are rascals but some are also the sons of heroes from some of their conquests...

So it's apt.

Miriamele
March 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I like it. Definitely catchy. :)

Jacquin
March 24th, 2005, 11:02 AM
The Working title for my longest project is "The Bastard and Mr Boome" I doubt it'll stay that way but what the hell. Give it a try, if you end up having to change it no big deal...

Holbrook
March 24th, 2005, 11:59 AM
The publisher would most likely change it anyway ;)

Dawnstorm
March 24th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Depends.

Might be: one title in UK, another in USA.

I'd definitely pick up a book called "Bastards" within a Fantasy imprint and have a look at it.

Prunesquallor
March 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I don't like it much, because I don't feel like I know anything about the book, the way I would if the title were, for example, "Bastard Sons of Forgotten Heroes"

kater
March 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM
I think Bastards would be hilarious and it does work for a few different meanings, but like the others I'm not sure anyone would print the piece calling it that. Maybe 'Legacy' or the 'The Bastard's Legacy' might work?

Holbrook
March 24th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Well Mary Gentle sold plenty of "Grunts"

Sometimes a catchy title works better... Mine suck for the most part....