PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know of this?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kongming
March 29th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Has anyone ever read a spoof of a Post-Apokaliptic Distopian Future novel?

I was thinking out loud today with my roomate:

He was saying that 50 years from now people would be looking back at things like terri shivo and gay marriage and saying: "I can't believe they even debated that." and his implication was that they would be saying it as if they saw no problem with the liberal point of view. But I thought it would be hillarious if it was a distopian fascist future and the person was saying it from the right wing point of view.

Get my drift?

juzzza
March 30th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Interesting... yep

Hilarious... not really.

It would make an intriguing read, controversial too. It depends if the author was writing it from a 'what if?' point of view rather than a 'this is how it should be' point of view.

Get my drift? is a little vague kongming, would you like to elaborate on what exactly it is you want to discuss?

My spider sense is tingling and finger is hovering over the 'eject' button...

Yobmod
March 30th, 2005, 06:05 AM
I've read loads of (good) distopian novels, and they all seem pretty dreary if not downright depressing:

we,
handmaid's tale,
clockwork orange,
faranheit 451,
Stand on Zanzibar, The Sheep look up, the Jagged orbit,
parable of the sower,
Scanner Darkly, Do androids dream of electric sheep,
the lathe of heaven, the disposessed,
player piano,
where late the sweet birds sang

I guess its difficult to make an unhappy / evil society funny, then only one i've read being Brave New World, which while not laugh out loud had lots of satire.

kongming
March 30th, 2005, 08:38 PM
well for starters I don't believe in the distopian future and would like to read a spoof of it. And yes I would prefer a spoof novel taken from the extreme right wing perspective to be irreverant and critical. But then again one that was genuine could be amusing too as I find the idea of the Left Behind series HILARIOUS!

Interesting... yep

Hilarious... not really.

It would make an intriguing read, controversial too. It depends if the author was writing it from a 'what if?' point of view rather than a 'this is how it should be' point of view.

Get my drift? is a little vague kongming, would you like to elaborate on what exactly it is you want to discuss?

My spider sense is tingling and finger is hovering over the 'eject' button...