View Full Version : Red Dwarf

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Merancapeman
March 30th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Let's talk about an excellent Brit-com. A brit-com so cool, it's cool enough to put in the thread. Any movie coming out about it? Any more series? What's goin' on?

milamber_reborn
March 30th, 2005, 06:37 PM
http://www.tvtome.com/RedDwarf/

As far as I know, the movie is still going to happen, but it's had numerous delays. The show was brilliant and deserves a big send-off.

Merancapeman
March 31st, 2005, 06:48 AM
Good. Any news on who is going to cast?

Wulfa_Jones
April 2nd, 2005, 03:43 AM
If Hitchhikers Guide does the business at the box office I can see Red Dwarf being moved along out of development hell.

While I am a fan of the series I did find the last two seasons to be lacking... I've got a bad feeling that the film will most likely be a re-make of sorts of the original event (Lister being frozen and waking up) rather than a totally new story. It makes more Hollywood sense, who is going to go and see it if they've never heard of Red Dwarf? Its got to be made accessible to the general public - I mean it not like Star Trek where they can get away with doing a film that just continues the adventures of the crew.

NoneShallPass
April 4th, 2005, 12:17 AM
That is a great point about if H2G2 does well. And that is very likely to be the case. They have been talking about the RD film since around 2001. And unless some one gets really inspired or really greedy, I dont think it will happen. but man, Red Dwarf is awesome. I introduced a friend to it the other day, and they loved it. No one can resist the Big Red.

Merancapeman
April 4th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Hmmm... I don't know. You might be right, but maybe they'll take a risk and start off with a run-off of the series, hoping that the movie will attract a large amount of fans. I'm almost certain they'll make it.

Leiali
April 4th, 2005, 08:28 AM
I don't think a big budget movie would do it justice. The last two series' were awful, and they had more money thrown in. But from what I recall...and this is going back a long while, the problem was that the two main writers parted ways, and only one of them stayed to write on the series. Without them both, it just wasn't the same. So any film would probably maintain this and not do the series justice imo.

Merancapeman
April 4th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Got wind that they're filming it in australia, based on a certain destructive robotic race that took over the universe during the 3 million years they were gone. I hadn't seen the last two yet, I'm making my way up. Tell me, why is it bad? And who left? (Besides the guy who played Holly. That upset me a bit...)

Leiali
April 4th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Well, I think people would agree with me when I say that the introduction of a sexed up but very bland Kerchansky was a bloody stupid idea. Writers wise, it was Doug Naylor and Adam Grant I think that wrote the series, but they fell out and one of them left....not sure which one, but the quality deteriorated quite significantly when he did. See what you think of the last two series'...Oh, I think Rimmer left also, at a point whereI lost interest, which of course was suicide as it does not work without him. I watched them all on the tv when they first came out so I am a bit hazy on the whole thing. Best episodes were the Hope/Despair and backwards ones. Classics.

Steven Savile
April 4th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Rob Grant and Doug Naylor parted ways very acrimoniously... and argued who had the actual rights to do Red Dwarf spinoffery...