View Full Version : Critique: Miller and Stowes: Prt. 1

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Merancapeman
March 31st, 2005, 12:28 PM
http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/384p0.html

Check this out. It's a story I worked on, and it's not too bad. It's going to be a series of detective novels in the future. I'm working on something entirley different now, but this is a hopeful future project. You think it's worth pursuing?

SubZero61992
April 1st, 2005, 12:18 AM
Hilarious!
It definately is funny and catches the reader's eye.
I would finish the book if I found it on a shelf and read just them pages.

So the answer is- Yes! Finish the book!

I've reread it three times now catching the humor.

Merancapeman
April 4th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Well, when I created the characters it was in a script I was writing for another person's play. It was a radio skit, and I had in mind a Douglas Adams character by the name of Dirk Gently. It actually began with the reason why they became detectives. It was really interesting, and basically I've decided to give them the same kind of ideals that Douglas Adams had created for his characters; ridiculously odd situations being ridiculously solved by a ridiculous person. I'm writing part 2. soon, so I hope you'll follow along! :)

ironchef texmex
April 7th, 2005, 03:19 PM
The dialogue is definately the stregnth. Good humor. Interesting characters. A little short for me to comment on things like pacing, but I'd say you're off to a good start.

One thing to remember, since it's not going to be a screenplay, you don't have the benefit of props to set the mood. You don't have to go all out for atmosphere, not with the mood of the piece, but even just something like calling the apartment/office a flat on London's east side.... something like that to give it a sense of place. Just something to add context.