PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Broken bones.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
April 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM
How do you treat areas where a cast cant reach?
One of my characters has a broken rib cage, and considering it is set in the future I could just say he went into laser surgery.
But how do you treat broken bones on the inside? Particulary the rib cage.

SubZero61992
April 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM
OMG! :eek: :eek: :confused:
Research isn't doing me any good, I searched for the topic and I got " Fixing broken bones, gay satisfactions!".

Jacquin
April 1st, 2005, 01:18 PM
There is no area of the body that can't be immobilised in a cast. However ribs as a rule are treated by what is called in Orthopaedics "Supervised Neglect". As long as you do not have a loose (flail) segment where one or more ribs are broken in more than one place you can safely leave ribs to heal themselves as the intercostal muscles hold them well enough. If you do have a flail segment you are in big trouble. You are likely to end up with either a pneumothorax (collapsed lung due to air entering the ribcage) or a Haemothorax (the same cause by bleeding) both of which are likely to kill you.

If the fractures are very painfull simple starpping around the thorax can help but the loss of the ability to breath deeply can cause a chest infection so it isn't advised as a rule.

It is possible now to inject a substance into the fracture site that stimulates bone healing, the cost makes it prohibitive at the moment but in the future...

SubZero61992
April 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM
So the most ordinary thing to do is just not moving your mid-section at all until you recover?

Expendable
April 1st, 2005, 01:26 PM
Go here to find out how to treat broken ribs (http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_ribinjur_sma.htm)

If you've bruised your ribs or just torn the cartilage they'll suggest a hot pad and pain killers. Also you can try gentle stretching to make it easier to cough. Hold the arm on the hurt side straight up, then grasp it with your other hand and pull it. Still hurts but not as much.

SubZero61992
April 1st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks, I think that answers 99.9% of my question, lol.

Expendable
April 1st, 2005, 01:32 PM
btw, sneezing and bruised/broken ribs don't go together either.

Rocket Sheep
April 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM
I have an unsupervised neglected broken rib and collar bone. Both set themselves soundly enough after a while... but in the wrong places. The ribs were awkward for ages and still stick out but hey... after having them kicked in against my lungs... I was quite pleased they decided to pop out. Breathing is quite useful, in fact when you're sitting there with a collapsed/compressed lung... you'd sell your soul for a breath of air.

I've also broken four other bones and had concussion twice... so when my characters get damaged I have no shortage of injuries I can describe down to the ickkiest detail.

SubZero61992
April 1st, 2005, 06:38 PM
SOmething is wrong with you rocketsheep... * cracks myself on my head*

Rocket Sheep
April 2nd, 2005, 03:57 AM
What? I'm not the one cracking myself on the head.

I can't help having long thin bones... or being adventurous... or clumsy... or doctors don't have any interest in broken ribs.