PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Remember . . . PLEASE!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Johnyf1
April 3rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
It sure doesn't seem that long but about 45 years or more ago (1950s or early 1960s) I remember reading a book that really facinated me. However, I don't remember the name or the author. The story, I believe, took place a number of years after a war (nuclear?). There were safe cities (blue) and not safe cities (red). The main character embarked on a journey to one of the cities in search of something (I have no clue as to what). For some reason I remember there being a large river he had to cross. There were numerous discriptions of abandon factories, building, etc. The thing I remeber the clearest was that the city had a poulation of rats which had mutated into intelligent blood thirsty creatures and they were out to get him. I believe they were primarily active at night. I know that's not much to go on but I'm hoping this synopsis will ring a bell with someone. Any leads will be greatly appreciated.

Incarnadine
April 3rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Hmm, is it Roger Zelazny's "Damnation Alley"?

http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=1015

Kamakhya
April 3rd, 2005, 07:18 PM
Darn it all....I could swear I read a book that fits this parameter, rats and all, recently, but I just cannot remember the title. I think it may be a John Brunner novel, but again I just can't remember. If we are thinking of the same book, it is something I own, so I will go through my paperbacks and see if I can find the book I am thinking of.

Johnyf1
April 4th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the leads but so far no brass ring. Incarnadine, I checked Damnation Alley and it wasn't it. Kamakhya, I check Brunners works but didn't see anything that matched my search. Thanks again . . . and the search goes on :-)

tazee
February 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Sounds like Andre Norton's "Daybreak 2250 A.D>. AKA "Star Man's Son"

Andrefan
April 4th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Sounds like Andre Norton's "Daybreak 2250 A.D>. AKA "Star Man's Son"

Second.

Fors in the Norton book had a companion cat, intelligent, large dog-sized, that he could communicate with via a vague form of telepathy. Does that sound familiar?

P.

tazee
April 4th, 2012, 04:51 PM
I just checked the book and the hero's name is Fors and he has a cat Lura