PDA

View Full Version : How do you save private files?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
April 6th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I am currently using microsoft works word processor and I have heard people say you can save it in a private file requiring a password to access.
Can someone help me on what it is called when you go to save as.

The reason is I had 4 pages written for my current work then my sister decided to delete everything she didn't want on the computer but saved her kitten and puppies pictures she found on google.
( Don't worry, revenge sure does suck but it feels good against an enemy. Just wont be so fun when she starts screaming but I've lived for 2 days now so I hope she never notices! :D )

Uncle Pony
April 6th, 2005, 06:56 PM
A password isn't going to help you anyway. She won't need the password to delete it.

A better bet is to get WinXP. It's set up so that you have to log onto your own account.

kongming
April 6th, 2005, 07:22 PM
or make a hidden directory

SubZero61992
April 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I have WindowsXP but my mom is too tight to let me make my own account on it. The internet is the only place I have accounts on but there isnt anywhere to save my work there.

She is way too protective about the computer, my sister thinks a CD bought from Wal-Mart will give it a virus.

Uncle Pony
April 6th, 2005, 07:53 PM
I have WindowsXP but my mom is too tight to let me make my own account on it. The internet is the only place I have accounts on but there isnt anywhere to save my work there.
Wow. My kids are 8 & 10 and they each have their own account on their computer upstairs. With MSN you can make them get approval for sites before they can browse them. Try running that idea past your mom.

Anyway, make a Yahoo Geocities account. You can store your stuff online there, and it's free.

kongming
April 6th, 2005, 08:01 PM
what about multiple gmail accounts? email them to yourself that's what I do so I don't have to carry a disk and I backup my work.

Expendable
April 6th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Get yourself a usb flashdrive like the lexar jumpdrive, which has a password protect program on it. Big advantage is you can take it with you when you want to go anywhere. Just don't lose it.

JRMurdock
April 6th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I agree with expendable. Get a jump or flash drive. Save up $30 and you're home free. It also makes it so you can work on your files at any computer. That's a HUGE plus.

James Barclay
April 7th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Me too.. have a lexar jumpdrive. It is brilliant. No more fear of losing work through crash, little sister deletion or robbery. For one so paranoid as me about losing stuff, it is a godsend. I don't leave home without it.

Emailing files to yourself also an excellent idea. As a rule, we should all be keeping our work in more than one place. It just makes sense.

NOM