View Full Version : Star Wars: Attack of the Fans

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Merancapeman
April 7th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Viva la Star Wars! We, the serious, SERIOUS fans, all know that Yoda was horrible. We all know the Force was a more complex thing then just a bacteria in blood cells, we all know the LIMIUAHGA disease spreading among the directorship of the newly created series, but we can't do anything about it. So, let's debate!

Begin your rants and raves, and unleash your anger! Although, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. Still, Yoda's recent and most utterly frustrating verbage is enough to scream about for hours.

Shehzad
April 7th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Darth Shehzad here, and ready to rant.

KILL THE EWOKS!

(I have way too many old rants on this topic to rehash them... but maybe, when I finish reading Revenge of the Sith, I'll comment).

juzzza
April 7th, 2005, 09:48 AM
What are you a serious, SERIOUS fans of?

The old movies, the Star Wars universe... what?

I find this anti-Lucas thing interesting... It reminds me of the whole Bill Gates thing.

What are you doing to make the franchise better? I'll tell you what, you're still going to see the movies and you're probably still buying the books and comics and toys... you're certainly talking about it, which keeps it alive.

I've seen the films more than any other film in my lifetime but still see it as entertainment and nothing more. The original trilogy was PG and I don't recall adults at the time whining about it not being dark enough.

Merancapeman
April 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
When I say serious fans, I don't mean someone who will try and integrate books and cartoons. That's just plain silly. Don't mean to steryotype, however. This is, simply, a rant and rave thread on Star Wars.

Erfael
April 7th, 2005, 02:11 PM
What are you doing to make the franchise better? I'll tell you what, you're still going to see the movies and you're probably still buying the books and comics and toys... you're certainly talking about it, which keeps it alive.

I'm not. I've been pretty disappointed with I and II, so probably will not see III. I MAY sit in a book store and read Matt's novelization of it. But that's more because it's Matt than because it's SW.

And no books, comics, or toys bought here.

Solaar
April 7th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Ok, so what do I do about this?

My missus is 22 and absolutely refuses to watch ANY of the Star Wars films. She hasn't seen any either.

I can't force her...

Solaar
failed in the force

Eurytus
April 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM

I wasn't aware it was up to the fans to repair the franchise. That's an interesting concept. And quit with the stereotyping. No we will not all buy the books and comics and toys, nor even see the films at the cinema in the case of some of us.

I have not brought a toy since I was a child back in the early 80's, and I would no more dream of buying an expanded universe book than I would pay for fan fiction. Stories about what Boba Fett did as a teenager I can do without.

As for the films, well I never thought it would come to this but I highly doubt I will watch ROTS at the cinema. I only saw AOTC once after all and I have never watched the film in its entireity a second time. Not even when it is on the TV for free.

It may be true that people hold the PT to a ridiculously high standard sometimes. But why shouldn't they. Many people habitually vote Star Wars and ESB in the top 5 films of all time (which I think is ludicrous but there you go) so quite obviously when a film is produced that is woeful they are going to get upset.

And on the other side of the equation there are plenty of people who give the films a pass because they are Star Wars. If they didn't have the name attached the two PT film's would have taken only 10% of what they did at the box office. They were terrible.

I've seen the films more than any other film in my lifetime but still see it as entertainment and nothing more. The original trilogy was PG and I don't recall adults at the time whining about it not being dark enough.

Firstly the OT was not required to be dark. It is the story of defeating the enemy. The PT is the story of defeat and betrayal. Hence some darkness is expected.

But the big difference is that the OT did not patronise its audience. Things weren't shoehorned in solely for a laugh (until ROTJ) and lines like "wanna buy a deathstick" simply would not have got a look in.

In retrospect the rot started with the Special Editions. Pretty much everything that was added was either for eye candy or for jokes. Witness the argument between the large and small droids in Mos Eisley wherein the smaller one goes Nah, nah, na, nah, na and gets whacked on the head.

In one fell swoop Georgie went from Joseph Cambell to the 3 Stooges in Space.

Solaar
April 7th, 2005, 02:45 PM
But can anyone honestly say that the series has improved with the three 'new' films?

Anyone?

Solaar
laying down the challenge

Evil Agent
April 7th, 2005, 03:57 PM
It has improved visually, that's it. Of course the prequels have not improved the series, they're simply not as good as the original trilogy. But to me that's not really the point, I realized about 6 years ago that they weren't going to improve upon anything.

Theres some stuff I hate in the new trilogy (Jar-Jar, some of Hayden Christensen's performance, even some of the otherwise talented Natalie Portman), but there's still plenty that I enjoy (Palpatine/Sidious and his manipulation of the Republic, Obi-Wan is pretty cool, all the droid and clone armies and battles), and of course I'm looking most forward to Episode III since it's the birth of Darth Vader.

One thing I have to say is that I DON'T think Episode III will be very dark... not nearly as dark as everyone is hoping for, despite Lucas himself saying that it would be. To Lucas, Ewoks fighting is 'dark'. He doesn't understand the term. The Star Wars prequels are kind of like the Spiderman movies, too colorful and bright to ever be a dark film.

In fact, one of the most telling quotes I ever saw from Lucas, showed me that he really HAS NO IDEA how the modern movie world works! It was actually quite disturbing to see how out of touch he is. Basically he said that he thought Episode I would make the most money, then Episode II would make only half as much, and finally Episode III would make half THAT much. His reasoning was that each film was going to be darker, and so would earn less money because less people would enjoy it. Poor man! He doesn't even realize that we WANT dark! DARK DARK DARK, please! That's what we want! And he thinks the exact opposite, he thinks he's making it dark because it has to be, but that the fans will hate it. :rolleyes:

Solaar
April 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Improved visually?

I'm arguiong that.

Solaar
doesn't think so