View Full Version : Heroes of Might and Magic 5

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

JamesL
April 11th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Yep, that's right! After the disappointing follow-up to the superb HOMAM 3, the series looks set to get back on track with this new instalment. The game has switched hands; it's now being published by Ubisoft and is being made by Nival Interactive.

Early indications suggest a more mature game with stunning 3D graphics replacing the traditional 2D scrolling map. Game content is hard to fathom but from the screenshots you can see a town similar to the 'Castle town' in HOMAM 3 and also an inferno-looking town.

Take a look at this report and the screenshots at the bottom (they can be enlarged). It looks very hot indeed. :) :) :)

HEROES 5 UPDATE (http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?game_id=4573&article_id=7482)

Zanzibar
April 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I don't know about the 3-D graphics. I LOVED Heroes 3 and I think they should just update that but it make really, really good. I never played 4 so I don't know how badly they fugged it up

JamesL
April 11th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I don't know about the 3-D graphics. I LOVED Heroes 3 and I think they should just update that but make really, really good. I never played 4 so I don't know how badly the fugged it up

I'm not entirely certain about the new graphics either (in terms of how they'll affect gameplay) but I think so far it looks smart.

As for 4, by brother argues that it is not as bad as I think it is (and tbh I only played it briefly) but after the brilliance and imagination of HOMAM 3, HOMAM 4 seemed a total mess of half decent ideas mixed with a lot of bad ones. I particularly didn't like the new towns. The worst thing was the battles - gone were the 2D animations and atmospheric backdrops and they were replaced with top-down isometric battles which didn't work too well and suffered from poor graphics and animation.

Hopefully 5 will revitalise the series. Have to say that it will have to do a heck of a lot to better HOMAM 3 though - that game is probably the finest TBS ever made.

Zanzibar
April 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM
The worst thing was the battles - gone were the 2D animations and atmospheric backdrops and they were replaced with top-down isometric battles which didn't work too well and suffered from poor graphics and animation.

Eww, sounds bad. One of the best things about the HOMAM series was it's battles. I started with 2 and I liked that game (though once I learned the black dragon cheat I just couldn't help myself to enough of the beasties :D ) and once I picked up 3 I fell in love with it. Top-down isometric seems like it doesn't belong.

Hopefully 5 will revitalise the series. Have to say that it will have to do a heck of a lot to better HOMAM 3 though - that game is probably the finest TBS ever made.

Seconded with great passion.

Erfael
April 11th, 2005, 12:38 PM
As for 4, by brother argues that it is not as bad as I think it is (and tbh I only played it briefly) but after the brilliance and imagination of HOMAM 3, HOMAM 4 seemed a total mess of half decent ideas mixed with a lot of bad ones. I particularly didn't like the new towns. The worst thing was the battles - gone were the 2D animations and atmospheric backdrops and they were replaced with top-down isometric battles which didn't work too well and suffered from poor graphics and animation.

Seemed to me that 4 was horrible due to the almost total lack of AI. I played it for a while, and liked a lot about it, but it wouldn't play against me. It would just sort of hang out around it's own towns and do nothing. Shame. Seemed like it could have been pretty good.....

Didn't Nival Interactive do Etherlords....that's a good sign. From what I saw, Etherlords wasn't bad.

Dawnstorm
April 11th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Yep, AI was abysmal in 4. Play anything above advanced and the game gets easy, as the Computer controlled player couldn't defeat neutral stacks. :eek:

But 4 had the very best map/campaign editor in the series. It's very versatile. You can have monsters join you for the final fight, according to a decision you made right at the beginning of the map. You can have rebellions in towns. There's practically no limit to your imagination.

Looking forward to 5. I have mixed feelings about 3D as well, but who knows.

Hey, I wondered where I heard Nival before. Yes, they did Etherlords. I just checked. If you want to give this a try, skip Etherlords, and go straight for Etherlords 2. Etherlords still had townbuilding elements, that didn't quite work out, IMO.

JamesL
April 11th, 2005, 01:44 PM
One thing I'm a little worried about is I'm not sure if the original creator of the series is working on the new game. The same guy designed and acted as team leader on the first four games - whether he is involved with this new project, I'm not sure. Given the new developer and new publisher, I'd guess not. This could be a blow to the franchise as this guy had excellent imagination and an eye for detail. :( Plus it would seem odd if the founder of the series wasn't involved in the latest release.

saintjon
April 12th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I'll probably check this one out, 4 was brutal though. I didn't see the need to have the neutral mobs able to move around, was just kind of annoying really. Having to go either/or on your unit choices was a bad move too.

I found Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic worked out a pretty good means of combining the best of 3D and 2D graphics for this sort of game. The layouts are just beautiful.

I still love HoMaM 3 but Age of Wonders edges it out (not by much though)

Deku
April 15th, 2005, 05:26 PM
The map editor for Heroes4 was heaps of fun, no doubt about it. Some of the units were very imaginative and the way your town interface altered according to the terrain it was on was fantastic. The campaign was fun for a while and I can't really remember much about the AI.

My main qualm is with the whole Hero situation. Heroes should not be able to fight. the way the move to attack in Heroes 4 is terrible and sdmetimes killing a high level barbarian was a real chore.

Heroes 3 totally immersed you in the Erathian world. Each hero had a background and a well created picture to go with it. Heroes 4 was awful as the Hero biographies I swear were randomly generated and the picture of the hero itself was almost comic-like.

The coolest town in the game was the preserve, harbouring loads of wild beasts. The way you can choose between a certain dwelling opposed to another is nice, and there is also a prison system, which I felt was needed in Heroes 3.

Heroes 5 is a far cry from all the Heroes games so far. You cannot question the graphics as they are absolutely vital in attracting new players, while also providing means to keep devoted fans. It is obviously very early days in development and it looks very promising. You can see a sense of fimiliarity within the screens, like the pixie ring and the creatures guarding map locations.

We'll just have to wait for more info

Pluvious
April 28th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Heroes 4 had a lot of good ideas and some smart thinking but it just didn't quite work as well as 3. Changing the battlefield was pointless unless you were really going to make the units and movement exciting. It wasn't. Stick with the 2D in heroes 3 battles or make it far better somehow. Maybe like an rpg final fantasy battle when the affects take place (spells, creatures attacking, etc) but a regular map like heroes 3. Just an idea...

Oh, and the original creator is not working on this game. He was working on some new project but it got cancelled for some reason. And yes, he did have an eye for detail. We'll see with the new game.

Somebody in a heroes forum that the screenshots look like the game Ehterlords. Anybody played this game or Etherlords 2? Its a kind of card/strategy game. I bought it cheap to see if it was any good.