PDA

View Full Version : advertisments in games

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Cwass
April 11th, 2005, 06:51 PM
at Fordham University at Lincoln Center where i attend school, i am taking a Media course. and every monday we have to look at the NY Times. todays issue had an article about how video gmaes are going to begin having advertisements. however they are not oging to placed inthe game to stay there for good. it is going to start on PC games and then move to console. by the use of the intrenet connection game companies are going to randomly change ads, such as a billboard in certain screenshots could have an ad for say Sean John clothes (a commercial on tv had sean john as i am writing that is why i said it) and then switch at the next level or later on the in the game to an ad for a new tv show that is coming out.

i was jsut curious on what everyone thinks about this whole thing. i think it will be good for the game industry becuase they will not be getting lots and lots more money to develop games and probably be able to produce even more games each year. so i guess i say it is a good thing, but i am slightly skeptical.

milamber_reborn
April 11th, 2005, 08:41 PM
It could lead to bad things. Look what advertising has done to the Internet with spyware and other annoyances.

On the other hand, the industry is huge but lacks solid financial backing. With finances not so much a concern, maybe a lot of potentially good games would not end up being prematurely-released, bug-ridden dissapointments.

Cwass
April 11th, 2005, 08:48 PM
the plus to it all is that only the games that are connected through the internet will get the advertisment updates. which will at least leave room for the GREAT game that is not online to get more money and more concentration. but yes it may lead to some very bad problems. hackers coming into your games, or bugs entering and ruining your system could be possibilities.

saintjon
April 12th, 2005, 11:02 AM
First time I ever saw an ad in a game was way back on the NES, Ninja Turtles 2 had Pizza Hut signs all over the place. The second was on NES also, when at the end of the game the chief give you a coca cola in Startropics.

So I guess it's not really a new idea.

Zanzibar
April 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Look at the product placement in Pikmin. The trend is already here, it's just not yet widespread. Overall though, I'd rather not see it happen. A commercial in a game? That would annoy the hell out of me.

kater
April 12th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Tony Hawk's is practically an advertisement itself, I mean you even get to pick what brand of sponsored shoes and equipment you want to wear in THUG.

Cwass
April 12th, 2005, 03:29 PM
the part of it that worries me a lot is the fac that the creators may get hung up on on the Ads rather then the game play. and soon since they are going to begin randomly changing and updating the ads in the games....im a little worried. but i am not so big on the online gaming i prefer the classic type of RPG.

milamber_reborn
April 12th, 2005, 08:36 PM
EA Sports already do it on the hoardings pitch-side in their FIFA games.