View Full Version : Submitting an already posted story for publication

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

parrottk
April 11th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm sort of new here. I say sort of because I've been lurking for over a year. Anyways...

I was just wondering what the rules were about submitting a short story to a magazine that had already been posted somewhere else, like here?

Mainly I'm asking because I've got some stories that I'd love to get some feedback on, but I'd prefer to keep the magazine publication possibilities open.

Thanks.

Ward
April 11th, 2005, 09:15 PM
there may be some links pinned in this forum to writing sites that discuss this in more detail but, basically, i don't think you need to worry about it for situations like posting online for peer review.

magazines pay for first publishing rights, and that would include publishing via ebooks, etc. online; but not making the story available for consideration on a writing site, fan site, etc., which is ok.

Abby
April 11th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure. I've heard that some magazines won't publish a story that's publicly available elsewhere, but I've never put this to the test.

Try it and see, and please keep up updated with what happens!

Rocket Sheep
April 12th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Hmmm... KatG will know for sure. I would say stuff posted here, has already used its first rights... since this is a public open access forum.

If you were to post it in a closed forum... say a critique only site, where membership has to be approved and monitored and you expect it to undergo intensive rewrites anyway, that is a different matter. I'm always careful to remove my stories from these types of forums after I have the crits too.

I've had short stories that I've invented here in the Collaborative Stories section, lifted them off, reworked them and sold them... but they were vastly different from the original and I removed the original.

I don't know if many publishers would worry if an early version of a story had public access before it was offered to them... but you'd have to tell them, if you hadn't changed much of the story and it would definitely have to be removed before they'd publish it.