PDA

View Full Version : Kung-fu!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zanzibar
April 21st, 2005, 11:33 PM
Who likes 'em? I recently watched "The Legend of Fong Sai-yuk" with Jet Li and loved it. There's an awesome scene where he fights some woman while running around on the heads and shoulders of a crowd of people. The first person to touch the ground loses. It was pretty funky. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" will always be the best martial arts film but I'm itching to see what "Kung-fu Hustle" is like. If it's anything like "Shao-lin Soccer", which was goofy as hell, I'll be happy. What are some of your favorite kung-fu films?

Eurytus
April 22nd, 2005, 06:25 AM
Legend of Fong Sai Yuk is a fun film all right. I particularly liked the character of Fong Sai Yuk's mother, an kick ass fighter in her own right. The sequels (of which there are several) are no where near as good as the first film though.

Other Jet Li films that I would recommend include (of course) the recent Hero, as well as the first Once Upon A Time In China film. Inspired by the Sergio Leone westerns and considered one of the very best Hong Kong movies by fans. Perhaps Jet Li's best film is Fist of Legend though. It is a remake of the Bruce Lee film Fists of Fury and you might think that daring to remake a Bruce Lee film would be a very bad idea. Now whilst the Jet Li version does not contain the anger of the Bruce Lee version the actual fight scenes are perhaps the best Kung Fu scenes commited to celluloid. I really do recommend this film.

Another good Hong Kong film is Iron Monkey with the fantastic Donnie Yen. Some really inventive fight scenes though it does use a great deal of Wire Fu, which I do not like as much as a more realistic take on martial arts.

Guilty favourites of mine include Mr Vampire (a classic, think the Carry On films crossed with Kung Fu) and Warriors from Zu Mountain (I can only consider this work the result of heavy drug intake but it is fun).

Whilst not strictly Kung Fu I did really like Zatoichi (the Beat Takoshi version) and Azumi was also very good.

The most expensive Korean film ever made, Musa the Warrior is also a fantastic film. Especially if you like spear fighting.

I would recommend any and all of the above without reservation.

kahnovitch
April 22nd, 2005, 08:34 AM
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" will always be the best martial arts film

I'll pretend I didn't head that. ;)

Check out some the old Jacky Chan stuff like "Drunken Master" and "Young Master" for some great fights with a couple of hard kicking Korean Masters.

"Wheels on Meals" and "Dragons Forever" are worth seeing just to see Benny "The Jet" Urquidez fight.

Project A is good with the trio of JAcky Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung, plus "Mr Vampire" (can't remember his name)

No Kung-fu experience would be complete without mentioning the Extended editions of Bruce Lee's Way of the Dragon, Fist of Fury and the bonus footage of Bruce's original material on Disk 2 of Game of Death. The film itself isn't much.

kater
April 22nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
Hero and House of Flying Daggers are both better than CTHD imo, all three are all a bit arty for my taste though. Chan in Snake in Eagle's Shadow was good if you like that style. I like no-wires, no-frills martial arts films of which Bruce Lee is the ultimate exponent, a film that you have to see is Ong Bak it's due to get a release in Western cinemas fairly soon but has been out for almost two years. Gritty, hard with absolutely no plot beyond fighting, the lead guy Tony Jaa is sensational and its nice to see some of the dirtier arts getting some air time, Muay Thai in this case.

Zanzibar
April 22nd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah, Ong-Bak looked like it had some pretty good action in it, though I've yet to see it. I haven't been to the theaters in quite a while (last I saw was Saw, I think). I loved Drunken Master but hated the American remake The Legend Of Drunken Master. As for Crouching Tiger, it is TOO the best! That movie had such amazing style about it that I watched it three times in theaters then many more upon video release.

fluffy bunny
April 27th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Ooh legend of fong sai-yuk. Not seen that one for ages - good choice to start with though.

Whilst you're going through your hong kong movie phase, I'd take a look at:

The Prodigial Son
Drunken Master
Fist of Fury
-also most people see 'Iron Monkey' and 'Bride With the White Hair' (which is one of the inspirations for Kill Bill)

-oh and for gunplay, try 'The Killer,'(well some people prefer Hard Boiled), 'Beast Cops'

As for Crouching Tiger, it is TOO the best!
Look up the wicca genre on google.

hoard
April 28th, 2005, 02:31 PM
some of the old Jackie Chan stuff is good. I haven't watch any of that stuff in a while, though. Just not the same as the older stuff.

Zanzibar
April 28th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I like some of Jackie Chan's early American films; they're so bad they're good. Stuff like "Mr. Nice Guy", "Jackie Chan's First Strike", and "Rumble in the Bronx".

Look up the wicca genre on googleHey, fluff, I'm not getting the reference. I know what wicca is but what exactly am I looking for?