View Full Version : universes/settings

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

milady
April 22nd, 2005, 03:40 AM
When you write, do you use the same world multiple times with different plots taking place/different stages of time? (eg. like Dune, I guess)

Or do you make up a new world/setting/magic-system every time you write a new plot?

In short, are all your stories set in the same grand world or universe, or do you make more up?

I just get bored of mine and make new ones up, which is probably a bad thing. Maybe it indicates that they weren't that good universes in the first place, and if they were good I would have got attached and stayed there. :rolleyes: :)

Ooh, and do you plan your settings/universe or whatever out?
Like, this is their technology/government/magic/social hierachy/climate/traditions, etc. And their coinage is like this. And so on.

Or just make it up as you go, to whim or what feels right?

Just interested.

JamesL
April 22nd, 2005, 04:02 AM
I have this idea for a series of stand-alone novels (if I ever get around to writing them). These novels will all take place in the same world but will all occur in different parts of the world. So one might take place in the frozen north, another may take place in the deserts of the south, another in the jungles and marshes of the east, etc.

I don't think there is much point in creating a large, interesting world if you don't make use of all the geographic regions. :)

milady
April 22nd, 2005, 04:44 AM
I have this idea for a series of stand-alone novels (if I ever get around to writing them). These novels will all take place in the same world but will all occur in different parts of the world. So one might take place in the frozen north, another may take place in the deserts of the south, another in the jungles and marshes of the east, etc.

I don't think there is much point in creating a large, interesting world if you don't make use of all the geographic regions. :)

Yeah. That's cool. :)

hmm, I like the idea of tropical. There don't seem to be many books with that sort of setting in fantasy literature... which all seem to take place in seasonable northern hemispheres (at least, place with snow in winter), and all, by some sort of rule, seem to have a medievel (or something close to it) society, with horses, swords, etc.

kater
April 22nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
I'm not that interested in writing in the same world at different times, I don't like writers who write good pieces only to have them jump the next incarnation a few hundred years forward. Either they lose the essence of what made the original/s enjoyable or they don't seem to compensate properly for the time gap - societies, technology, transport etc all seem to have avoided evolving.
The three books that I want to write are all based in the same world at the same time, but each book will widen the perspective. So the first is set on a large island/small continent called Poena where a nation from the mainland attacks and attempts to take over the island nations. The next expands what we know of the world by detailing why the mainland nation attacked the island and what pressures it faced from its neighbours. The third book is going to involve most of the nations in my world in something approaching a World War ... I think. So its safe to say I like playing in the same sandbox :D

I have a few seperate worlds that I'd like to explore in more detail but I have to confess that they are quite similar, so thats something worth rethinking in my writing

There's nothing wrong with standalones, some of my favourite books are standalones where the tale is told in such a way that it is plain awkward to have to come back to that world no matter how good the story and characters are.

As for planning, I wasn't a planner until I got some great ideas from members here and decided to rethink my approach. Now I do a fair amount of planning but if I want to throw in a new name, place etc I do it, planning everything I think stifles creativity to an extent. World planning is now my favourite part of writing.

Expendable
April 22nd, 2005, 11:10 AM
Different stories have different needs.

Some stories can take place on the same world or within the same universe, so those I'll reuse. So many possibilies - why not use a world to its fullest? Many of my stories take place in the same universe.

Some stories need a unique world or universe - so I'll create a new one. Variety. It's fun making a new world. ^__^

--Ex.

JRMurdock
April 23rd, 2005, 12:36 AM
I have a series that will use the same world over and over with the characters doing things in differnt places arough the world. It'll take them everywhere I want them to go and explore each little nook and cranny I feel needs to be explored.

But I also have written so many short stories that take place in so many different places, that it's hard to keep them all straight. For many of my short stories, they only need the world for a short time and i can let it go after that.

So it really depends and it really varies.

J.R.

Michael B
April 23rd, 2005, 01:29 AM

[..]
Some stories need a unique world or universe - so I'll create a new one. Variety. It's fun making a new world. ^__^

If I need a new world, I will create one just for the story. If a story will fit in an existing one then it might be slipped in.

I don't go into building worlds for stories be written about. The tale comes first, the background later.

Michael B

milady
April 23rd, 2005, 11:19 AM
The three books that I want to write are all based in the same world at the same time, but each book will widen the perspective. So the first is set on a large island/small continent called Poena where a nation from the mainland attacks and attempts to take over the island nations. The next expands what we know of the world by detailing why the mainland nation attacked the island and what pressures it faced from its neighbours. The third book is going to involve most of the nations in my world in something approaching a World War ... I think. So its safe to say I like playing in the same sandbox
That's a good idea. I'll try not to steal it. ;)
So it'd all be from one nation's pov (or character from that nation's pov) I suppose?

Some stories can take place on the same world or within the same universe, so those I'll reuse. So many possibilies - why not use a world to its fullest? Many of my stories take place in the same universe.

Yes, it's seriously fun. :D

I think MB's right about the story coming before the world.

michaelS0620
April 23rd, 2005, 11:32 AM
Well its a bit hard for me to answer this question as I am currently embarking on my first real story (real in the sense that I am pushing on with it and not dropping it after a short while). One of the things I have noticed, is that through all of my story ideas and false starts, the setting has remained almost entirely constant. An arid desert type setting (think wild west, not Dune).

In a lot of ways the setting was there first, waiting for me to fill with life and characters.

Michael

Expendable
April 23rd, 2005, 12:05 PM
If I need a new world, I will create one just for the story. If a story will fit in an existing one then it might be slipped in.

I don't go into building worlds for stories be written about. The tale comes first, the background later.

Michael B

Of course the tale comes first. The world is created to fit the needs of the story, otherwise what use is it?

--Ex