View Full Version : "Lucifer" by Carey and Brubaker's "Sleeper"

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Mithfânion
April 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
I couldn't really get into Sandman because of the art but the basic story was great. Lucifer is another subject that really interests me and this time the art seems to be superb. Has anyone read this series and if so:

A) What can I expect to see?
B) How high do you rate it?

Secondly I'm considering Brubaker's "Sleeper". What sort of superpowres are shown in this crime noir series?

Priestvyrce
April 23rd, 2005, 12:14 PM
Lucifer is a continuation of Gaimen's version of Lucifer. Still Carey does his own thing with it. It is like the Grimm Brothers were telling religious fairy tales. Very forward and intense, yet not without some levity. I've been reading it since issue 1 and the seeries has, in my humble belief, gotten better with each issue.

I've only read the first TPB of Sleeper and it rocked socks! Brubaker mixes in evil secret organizations, The Illumanti, super heroes and some Ludlum. Eventhough it sounds like a cliche ridden fanfic, Brubaker tells a compelling story and Sean Phillips' art work works so well with the story.

I highly recommend both series.

Rob B
April 24th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Lucifer is OK.

Sleeper was the darling of the internet about a year ago, many people (mostly comic bloggers) hyped it up and said it is the book everyone should be reading. I tried it a couple of times and really couldn't see what all the hype was about. I liked Sean Phillip's art, but the story just didn't do it for me.

Surt
April 26th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't call Lucifer a continuation of Sandman, as it can easily be read without prior knowledge of that series. The Lucifer character is the same as the one from The Sandman, though.

I think it is the best series out now. It's extremely wellwritten og the art is usually of very high caliber. The first trade is the least good, though, which is unfortunate.

Expect much in the same vein as Sandman, as Carey draws on a plethora of different mythologies to create his world.

The series is ending around issue 75 and the remainning issue will probably also be collected.

Hellsfire
April 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Lucifer is excellent and I've only read one thing of Sandman. Lucifer is a bastard but at least he's honest.

Gildor
October 9th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Lucifer is a bastard but at least he's honest.

Have to agree with that! Yet Lucifer is excellent, just finishing mansions of silence, and its pretty damm good. This was my first foray into this kinda book and it payed off!

kater
October 9th, 2005, 04:53 PM
I have all three current trades of Sleeper and am waiting on the fourth at the end of this month. I think it's pretty damn good, not overly clever but throws out some fresh ideas and keeps the pages turning. There are some nods to the rest of the Authority/Planetary/Stormwatch etc universe but it's pretty much self-enclosed and fun without stretching the boundaries. I'd recommend getting it - try the the first one or two, especially as the trades are quite cheap, and if you don't like it, it won't be have cost you a lot to find out :)

Hellsfire
October 9th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Now, can someone give me a little info on Sleeper and who publishes it? The whole secret organizations sounds intriguing.

Priestvyrce
October 10th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Now, can someone give me a little info on Sleeper and who publishes it? The whole secret organizations sounds intriguing.

Wildstorm is the imprint that it is under, but it is part of the Warner Brothers/DC company.

fluffy bunny
October 29th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Sleeper's set in the same world as Authority and Planetary in the twisted Wildstorm universe. The basic premise- a deep cover agent is in too deep. The only one who knows he's working for law and order's in a coma. Some of the decisions this guy makes just to stay alive could be construed as controversial.

Brubaker writes crime well, and is able to write several linked single issue stories with a beginning, middle and an ending. A review of the first trade can be found here (http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews/snapjudgments/121503/sleeperoutinthecold.shtml).

Oh and Lucifer was one of my favourite books a few yrs ago, though I'm a tad behind at the mo. If you do decide to read through the trades, it does start off slowly (as with Sandman, the creators were finding their feet). However it builds up plot line after plot line, with trades 4&5 (from around issue 20) really kicking backside.