PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please tell me?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SirRob
September 14th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Well, I'm been thinking of writing a story and I've justgot an idea from a topic by Polgara,which was good or bad.(this wasn't directly suggested)My idea was that I should write a story about King Arthur but a bit more realistic one where he is the son of an important Celt and an important roman.He spends his early adult life uniting tribesafter the Romans leave. Then Saxons come and he fights them and thats as much as I can think of. I know this type of story has been done before but I would like to know if it has been done about King Arthur.
Also I would like to know your suggestions about my ideas.

An8el
September 14th, 2001, 11:27 PM
It's one of the coolest myths of our culture, so adding to it would be a fine project. In fact, there's probably a historic society that would pay you or give you a scholarship to do just that! There's got to be more than a hundred books on that theme written in the last hundred years. I've read about seventy of them because my ex used to collect them. My advice is to go to your local library and tell your librarian who can probably help you find at least twenty others. After that, see if you can add something to the myth.
So, how many versions have you read so far?

Steven Savile
September 15th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Check out Stephen Lawhead's books Merlin, Talisan, Arthur, Pendragon, Grail - well worth the read, and sound similar in vein to what you are talking about. Lawhead is a superb writer with an eye for humanity that is touching on brilliance.

Giarc
September 19th, 2001, 06:57 AM
There is also a similar series by Jack(or John...can't recall off the top of my head) Whyte starting with 'The skystone'. The series is called 'A dream of eagles' in the australasian market. Very good read IMO http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cadfael
September 20th, 2001, 08:18 PM
SirRob... your outline is very similar to Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy, don't get me wrong, I am not sugesting for one minute you stole it, the chances are you don't even know about it. I just want you to know this angle has been covered before, but hey! go with it.

Penumbra
September 24th, 2001, 11:34 PM
Writing about King Arthur is not particularly new. There is such a wealth of books already written that some feel it has been done to death. Others, like yourself, are so fascinated by the subject, that they look for new expression, resulting in what is now called Arthurian Fantasy, a legitimate sub-category of Fantasy/Fiction.
It also attracts writers who delve in mystery and occult because of possible connections through Merlin with Tuatha da Danaan, the ancient tribe of Dan from Israel, the stone of Scone, Druids, Celts and a hundred other ill-defined and therefore undescribed possibilities. I think there is still plenty for you to write about if you can come up with a new angle, one that has not been touched on. Good luck!

Barbarossa
September 25th, 2001, 12:26 AM
There are quite a few attempts to do a "historical" Artur:
Rosemary Sutcliff's "Sword at sunset"
Bernard Cornwell's "Warlord Chronicles"
(Winterking, Enemy of god, Excalibur"

weren't mentinoned before in this thread