View Full Version : Suspended animation no longer just scifi

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Expendable
April 27th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Mice put in 'suspended animation' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4469793.stm) By Paul Rincon
BBC News science reporter

To make a long story short, scientists in Seattle put some mice in a chamber that was air laced with 80 parts per millon of hydrogen sulphide (H2S). The mice quickly lost consciousness, their metabolic rate slowing drastically and their body temp dropped 26C. After six hours, the scientists took the mice out and in the fresh air revived unharmed.

Real science. Lots of potential, both good and bad.

--Ex.

SubZero61992
April 27th, 2005, 06:13 PM
So will this like, be able to preserve our body for a long period of time so we can do things we never could, or are you just bringing up a cruel experiment?>

Expendable
April 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM
So will this like, be able to preserve our body for a long period of time so we can do things we never could, or are you just bringing up a cruel experiment?>

Preserve. Didn't you read the article I linked to? All sorts of possibilities there.

--Ex

SubZero61992
April 27th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I just read it.
At the time I was busy with a project so I just read your summary. Wow, this is one step closer to finding other lifeforms. I wouldn't mind doing it, as long as they provided it for the trip back. :confused:

Zanzibar
April 28th, 2005, 02:35 PM
They probably won't be rocketing any of us into space in search of alien species', Sub ;) . More likely this technology, should it ever be perfected, will fill a more commercial niche. People will be able to pay to have themselves suspended so that they may experience the future or stave off a disease until a cure is found. Imagine warehouses filled with vegitative clients awaiting the world of tomorrow. It's almost a little depressing.

SubZero61992
April 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I dont know Zanibar.
This perserves our body, but I dont think they have still tested if it stops aging. It may prevent us from having to eat as much but I think out body may still age. Or would not eating prevent aging?

Zanzibar
April 28th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Twenty years will see a lot of new advances in medical technology, Sub. It might just be long enough to find a needed cure. It wouldn't (couldn't?) stop the aging process but it's very possible to slow it down, even dramatically, I would think. We eat to keep our body going. If we don't need to eat, what's our body doing to burn off energy? Probably nothing. We can't age without sustenance and if we don't need to eat, it stands to reason that we wouldn't age much (this is all speculation, of course). If it can't halt or slow the aging process, then its space-faring applications are limited as well. We won't be flying to new solar systems, for instance, and a trip to Jupiter is a huge commitment for an astronaut to make if he's aging during the ride.

TheEarCollector
April 28th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Theoretically you could cure death, because all death is, is a failure of vital systems caused by a prolonged decay of the body. So, if you can prevent cell decay within the body then you COULD stop aging.

I am just saying it's possible, I don't really think we can find a cure for death though.

Expendable
April 28th, 2005, 08:44 PM
The idea for suspended animation is to slow the body's metabolic processes down. While the mice were in the gas, their metabolisms slowed down 90% - they aged 36 minutes during the six hour test.

Zanzibar
April 29th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Well, if you only age twelve times slower than is normal my idea's out the window. It does provide some options for space travel but the astronauts will still be forced to commit a large chunk of their lives to a mission.