PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ossie54
April 27th, 2005, 08:12 AM
I read this books years ago so I think it might have been a 'young adult' type book, but I was wondering if anyone else might know of it.

I will share the bits of the plot I remember:

It is set in the future and somehow people (or children?) are 'streamed' into groups deoending on their intelligence (maybe?) Anyway in the low groups they are taken everyday to play in this VR game, which involves them being on another planet. They always enter on top of this huge rock - bit like aryes rock I imagined. This goes on for ages except one day they get plugged into this game, but this time it isn't a game, they have really been set to another planet. They find shelter and set up little hunter gatherer typer society. A year passes and they decide to go back to the rock where they landed. They show up and there are hundreds of other little groups that had been sent there - some a few years old, some much older.

It has been driving me mad for ages that I can't remember the title, have looked for it all over, but it is tricky with a name to search for!! Begining to think I made it up and am clearly insane!

Hope someone can help and prove I am not going mad!

Thanks

Ossie54

ladyelf17
April 27th, 2005, 11:07 AM
never read that one before

Monty Mike
April 27th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Sounds interesting, though I'm not totally sure. At first I thought of the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson, but after I read on it became obvious it wasn't. Could it be The Player of Games, by Iain M Banks? Not really sure, sorry.

scooter13
April 27th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Could it be The Player of Games, by Iain M Banks?

Nope, that's not it.

Beleg
April 28th, 2005, 03:22 AM
the closest I can place is Ender's Game.