PDA

View Full Version : Synopsis length

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Revolution
April 27th, 2005, 06:30 PM
I have recently received a request from an agent for the first three chapters of my novel and a synopsis. Since it was not specified in their communicatoin and this agency does not have a website, I would like to know how long to make my synopsis. I've heard that one page for every 10k words is okay. My feeling is that it should be as short as possible. What do you guys think is an appropriate page length?

Expendable
April 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Keeping it short is best but its also got to sell the story.

michaelS0620
April 27th, 2005, 07:33 PM
First of all, congrats on finishing a novel, and even bigger congrats on getting interest from an agent!

the easiest thing to do would be t osimply ask them if they have any specific guidelines. Better to know for sure than to guess, and guess wrong. I don't think it will make you look like a newbie or unprofessional. In fact I think it will make you look more professional as you are indicating you are willing to listen to how the agent wants it, and you want to do it right.

Revolution
April 27th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Thank you very much for your help. Good advice.

Holbrook
April 28th, 2005, 12:59 AM
From experience I would say between 500 and a thousand words. An agent wants the main points and the flow of the story told clearly and concisely.

Congrats on being asked for the first three chapters, next stage the whole manuscript!

Revolution
April 28th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I went ahead and gave the agent a call this morning. She said that it was really up to me, whatever I thought, from 3 to 10 pages. I'm going to try to keep it at around 4 or 5, I think.

Thank you guys for your help.

Expendable
April 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM
You're welcome. Good luck.

--Ex.

KatG
May 3rd, 2005, 11:42 AM
I'm late on this and you already got the guideline info from the agent, but usually, a plot synopsis is 1-2 single spaced pages. 5 pages would usually be the absolute maximum, but if the agent you are submitting to said 10 was okay, then so be it. Good luck!