PDA

View Full Version : Those Good and Bad Days

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Penumbra
October 11th, 2001, 09:34 PM
I'm sure everyone bounces through these days like a sine wave, never knowing when the urge to write is going to be there or inspiration completely suppressed. I've been in the doldrums since the tragedy and haven't been able to pen much more than a memorial poem to the victims of 9/11 for a month.

Suddenly, today pops up and I find a short story acceptance mired with the junkmail. It literally colored my morning for they have been rather dark. Then, the proofs from my latest fantasy novel, The Find, arrived and they were nearly perfect. Another boost.

Ironically, I had sent the publishers artwork for the cover because I didn't like the way their graphic's artist messed up my last book and was delayed a week to get the corrections I wanted. He is Chinese and I believe I accused him of thinking vertically. Anyway, the artwork came back and it isn't mine. I had spent a week designing what I thought to be a particularly apt cover, dealing with the Gate of the Sun at Tiahuanaco, showing Viracocha. My wife and I both thought it was a brilliant bit of work and were eager to see it displayed.

This time, the artist either didn't get my drawing or ignored me completely and designed something on his own. I was actually stunned because his conception was so completely superior to my own, so much more intriguing than mine and so provocative that I was at a loss for words (quite rare in my house.) The cover is incredible and I am now reinspired to write again. All it took was a good day. I am in hopes that you all have a good day soon.

Erebus
October 12th, 2001, 03:18 PM
Buy a lottery ticket, Penumbra - I think you're on a winning streak! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Great news about the acceptance, and the cover art. It's amazing how a small turn of events can suddenly change things. I really hope your inspiration continues to flow!

And yes, for me, every day is a good day - it's what you make of it that counts - and seeing good things happening for our friends and family, or even the members here, is just icing on the cake!

[This message has been edited by erebus (edited October 12, 2001).]