View Full Version : Kingdom of Heaven

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Cymric
May 5th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I was recently blessed with 2 free movie tickets to see a screening of the movie Kingdom of heaven so before it opens in a theatre near i thought I would give you my thoughts on this movie.
-You could definitely see ridley scotts hand in this one it had the same feel and grittiness to it that Gladiator had, though not as good but close.
-The historical accuracy of the peice was somewhat dubios in my opionin. They misrepresented the templars and had one of them married to the herione. I may be wrong but the Templar order was never allowed to marry.
-Orlando Bloom finally begins to climb out of Legolas's Shadow and starts acting.
-The best actor in the whole movie IMHO was the guy who played the Leper King.
-Over All I give it 3 out of 5 stars

Monty Mike
May 5th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. Me and a friend are going to watch it tomorrow. The battle scenes look great, and I'm glad to hear Orlando is leaving Legolas behind :D Also, I think a lot of films edit the historical aspects to better fit the movie.....

One question; howcome there's been so many movies of these 'sword and shield' movies lately? (puts it down to the success of LotR) :o

Zanzibar
May 5th, 2005, 10:46 AM
It's the latest fad. We're still stuck in this crappy horror movie one too (The House of Wax? Come on!) and the super hero trip just died. Personally, I don't think this movie looks any good. I love Ridley Scott's work, but movies like Troy and Alexander have really spoiled the rest for me. The only two I can enjoy (aside from LOTR of course) are Gladiator and Braveheart.

JamesL
May 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Braveheart is a good film, just a shame Hollywood distorted the true history to the point of pointlessness. :(

Miriamele
May 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I think the Kingdom of Heaven looks pretty good--I always like "historical" movies with battle scenes--although I'm not going to go see it in the theatre. Partly because it looks like it might have some really cheesy romantic scenes, and partly because although I think Orlando Bloom is an attractive guy I don't think that he's even a mediocre actor let alone a good one. I'll probably rent the movie as long as I don't hear awful things about it. :)

BlackCauldron
May 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I'm going to try and see this in the theaters if I get a chance, and I bet it will be good, but it has gotten way less buzz than it should have. I think it will end up being not that big of a film.

Eldanuumea
May 6th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I just got home from seeing it, and thought it was extremely well done, although I am not clear on the historical accuracy of some of it. I will need to look up some things.......I was not aware the King of Jerusalem was a leper, for instance.
Bloom did a very creditable job of carrying the lead. And I agree with Cymric's praise of the guy who played the leper king......he did a lot with just the barest glimpse of eyes and the tone and timbre of his voice.

edit: just looked up King of Jerusalem and found the following info that will shed some light on the film.....

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08361a.htm

Khallandra
May 7th, 2005, 02:53 AM
I *was* going to see it today but decided to go shopping instead. I have heard good things which is looking promising. I just hope its better than Alexander which had the worst directing and post editing I've ever seen. But then again KoH is Ridley Scott and not Oliver Stone

Eldanuumea
May 7th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Aha! No wonder we were so deeply impressed with Baldwin IV, the Leper King.......he is played by an uncredited Edward Norton!

I am looking forward to seeing this again with my kids this week.

FicusFan
May 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I read a story about the movie on-line. It said the movie is supposedly pretty faithful to history, though it did change some things to amp up the romance and sex appeal.

The story was about how the movie had not riled up Muslims, because the crusades are still such a sensetive subject. It then said that Scott had consulted Muslim scholars, so perhaps the parts that seem unfamiliar are their take on history. I haven't read a lot about that time or place so I can't say.

I had originally decided to skip the movie because I thought it would be a typical Hollywood fantasy like Troy, but after seeing the trailer, and what seems an attempt to portray both sides more realistically, I will probably see it.