SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

SubZero61992
April 25th, 2005, 04:19 PM
How does this work?
As in say I wanted to write a book based off of StarWars but about different characters, is this legal? I understand it would be pretty clumsy if someone wrote about someone in the StarWars universe and then began reffering to untrue things, so exactly how does writing off of others work, well... work?

This paragraph reads pretty unnatural to me, but this whole " How does writing off of anothers work, work?" thing is confusing so I couldnt really find the right words.

Expendable
April 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
If its fanfic, you don't need to contact anybody.

If you're writing in the same universe but without the same characters with the intent to publish, you'll need to contact Lucasfilms - businessinquiries@lucasfilm.com

Or you can keep the premise and build an original universe around it without it being "starwars".

SubZero61992
April 25th, 2005, 04:36 PM
So as long as they aprove of work then it is okay?
But StarWars is just one of them ideas in my head, I was thinking more of Resident Evil.

kater
April 25th, 2005, 05:06 PM
If you are looking to publish or release it officially then you must gain the company's, in this case Capcom, written permission and possibly even a contract. If its for personal use or between you and friends then its fanfiction and no-one can stop you, however Sffworld.com does not accept, endorse or encourage any form of fanfiction. For most authors and world creators its a very sore subject and one you have to be careful about.

JamesL
April 26th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I have to agree, fanfic is a bit dodgy in the sense that it is very unstable ground. Some authors don't mind, others can't stand it. I think I'm right in saying that George RR Martin hates it with a passion.

As for the whole Resident Evil/Star Wars scenario...hate to put you off the idea but you would most likely need to sign some sort of formal contract with the companies in question (or whoever owns the rights) and you'll probably find they won't be interested unless you are a published author, due to the popularity of their franchises. Sorry to disappoint you, but that is just the way it is. Feel free to contact them but I'd be hugely surprised if you got anywhere with it. :(

juzzza
April 26th, 2005, 10:12 AM
If you have great ideas, why waste them on someone else's universe? Especially if they do not involve existing characters. Zombies are fairly standard, you must be able to write your story outside of Raccoon City and most cities have a police force and a hidden, underground bio research facility. ;)

You may have more luck if you are writing a game plot, rather than a novel?

Not sure exactly how it works, but I think people like Star Wars approach authors they want to write in their world, rather than the other way round... where is Stover? And you will have to have proven yourself before they are likely to work with you. How many requests do they get from completed fanfiction works in one year do you think?

I want to write an incredible Wolverine novel, but think I will wait until my second NY Times Bestseller before approaching Marvel...

KatG
April 26th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Aw come on, Juzz, write it now just for us. We won't tell. :)

In the beginning, George Lucas did not like fan-fiction and fan videos, which he felt interferred with his own plans and infringed on copyright and he went after people with layers. But eventually, fans talked him out of it, plus the evidence that all the fan efforts actually helped him make more money. So now, people do SW fan videos on the Net and write official fan fiction and this has become common practice for a lot of franchises, though not the written ones, usually, because of copyright issues.

Resident Evil is a game and the games companies want fans obsessing over the games as much as possible. So I wouldn't be surprised if they had official fan fiction sites and probably some unofficial ones that are tolerated. Do some Net searches and see. If you're just doing it for your own personal fun, and not planning to publish or post it anywhere, you don't have to worry about it at all.

SubZero61992
May 6th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Nothing can be legally done when someone writes something that is almost the same plot but totally different characters and locations can it?

I'm not planning on writing about the persons same plot, it is my own plot but it is different. Both are viruses made to help humans, but once they fail on certrain standards it contaminate a large source of locations and turns them into mindless killers, basically zombies that use anything at their disposal except items that require them to think, such as guns or vehicles.
They can be killed like normal humans, but the virus makes their strength become inhuman.
Oh, and like most virus-related movies, its creator doesnt want to dispose of its creation.

I suppose this is okay, considering there is many books about survival/horror, right?

SubZero61992
May 6th, 2005, 11:00 AM
The virus spreads because the incident in a laboratory concerns the lead scientist of the project, so he sends an elite group of soldiers to figure out what really happened. Only three soldiers made it out, but one of them was constrained. The soldier was kept for testing, and the inhuman soldier got more and more vicious as time went by. The scientist decided they wanted to learn more about what was happening, so they opened the labratories doors again, but the virus inhabitants had reached the entrance and began to take over the city.

TheEarCollector
May 6th, 2005, 11:38 AM
No, nobody can sue you for using a similar idea unless they can prove that you tried to take it from then.
A more important point is why you don't come up with a story of your own?

Ok a virus is created and it gets loose... big whoop. A million stories start this way, now what is your actual story? Background is not the story, in some cases people become so obsessed with similarities in the background that they try to create fan fiction but if you think about it (unless it really really sucks) it could easily be an entirely different story.

Think about that. Think about writing your story how you want to write it and not bothering with using similar circumstances, then your story will go a different way and it officially becomes a different story.