PDA

View Full Version : Seeking The Names For These Short Stories

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Ravenfire
May 6th, 2005, 11:23 PM
When I was younger, some stories I read stuck in my mind. Unfortunately, it was so long ago that I can't remember the names of these stories, all I can remember is short synopses of the plots. If anyone can identify these names and authors of these stories for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Time short story - In this world, time is a currency. A person uses seconds, minutes, hours, days, and centuries to buy and sell items. When a persons time runs out, he or she dies. The protagonist was a man, and there was a big clock clock in the story that was the centerpiece for time. I think it was published in Playboy or Penthouse, but I can't remember which.

Skill Chip story - This short story featured a protagonist who was due to get his skill chip, which eliminated the need for future schooling. He didn't want to get the chip, because he had friends who did and they became obsolete. His friend had a chip and was in a contest, and because he didn't have the right chip for the items he was making, he came in last place. The protagonist comes up with the idea of education instead of chips for people, and tries to get other countries or companies (can't remember which) to buy his idea.

Drunk robot inventor story - About a inventor who gets drunk and invents things, then becomes sober and forgets exactly what it was he invented. The story also had a robot who the inventor invented, and the inventor is constantly learning new things. I'm pretty sure it was a funny set of short stories.

Erebus
May 7th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Not sure about the first 2, but your drunk robot inventor sounds like the Henry Kuttner short stories, as listed below, with their orginal publication dates

"Time Locker" January 1943
"The World Is Mine" June 1943
"The Proud Robot" October 1943
"Gallegher Plus" November 1943
"Ex Machina" April 1948

Hope this helps?

Ravenfire
May 16th, 2005, 10:14 AM
As soon as you mentioned Gallagher, I knew that was the one. At last, one of my mystery stories has been solved. I'm going to see about getting those books, and finding out if they are as good as I remembered! Now those other two are going to be trickier, I think. I wish I could remember more about them.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help!