View Full Version : writers collaboration

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

NOEL
August 17th, 2001, 06:59 PM
my question is simple how do writers collaborate on writing a story . do they each do a chapter or does one come up with the idea and leave it to the other to fill in the gaps ? i really want to know how it works ? could someone please tell me . thx

Erebus
August 18th, 2001, 05:27 PM
I guess this may be up to the individuals concerned, Noel. I'm not aware that there's any set way for a collaboration. Sometimes, someone has the idea but uses someone else to actually do the writing, and so you have a collaboration or sorts here. There's ghost writers as well, but that's something entirely different, of course. But, I guess it relates more to an exchange of ideas that are developed by each writer, that together, make for a stronger tale.

As for the actual mechanics involved in a collaboration, ie, who writes what chapter etc, I really have no idea, but suspect it's probably different in each case.

[This message has been edited by erebus (edited August 18, 2001).]

An8el
August 19th, 2001, 12:24 AM
Are you starting a collaboration with someone?
I'd read examples of collaborations that already exist. I love to read them after getting very familiar with at least one of the writers. Zelazny comes to mind, because his style was so identifiable. He wrote collaborations with lots of different people too. It becomes obvious how Z. seems to do all the detail in a book...or when trademark "Z" characters appear.
I'd say how you divied the story up would depend what each writer's strengths are. But I can't get our of my mind the endless regular nights with the pizza and drinks hashing out the plot details...or the excitment of getting the manuscript back after handing the newest "chapter" back and forth for the other person to add in their contributions.
Speaking of which...why don't we start a collaborative "group story" since lots of us are writers here? You know, where someone starts a story and gives it a title and the next person writes the next paragraph or page... that might be a fun romp for us.

Guess we could do that in this post way...but it would be cool to put something special that any of us could edit in another section....
...whadaya say erebus?
Franis

Erebus
August 19th, 2001, 12:58 AM
Not sure about the mechanics of a post where everyone could edit each other's submissions, Franis. I don't think the board works that way for security reasons (I will check with Dag though).

But the idea of a sort of progressive story could be fun, and I guess it could be done under its own topic here in the Writing section, with folks who are interested adding to or continuing the story by posting in the normal manner.

daigoro
August 19th, 2001, 06:33 AM
You're right in that the board’s security mechanisms will prevent people from editing each other’s posts, but that shouldn’t prevent you from doing a “one chapter each” type of thing.

Some members tried to do this a while ago, back when the discussion forum was quite new, and at that time it just died away, but I guess it would have a better chance of success now with more members to keep it going http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Aleya
August 19th, 2001, 06:42 AM
I read that in Raymond E. Feist's latest book (Honoured Enemy) with Willaim Forstchen, Forstchen wrote the first draft of the book and Feist edited and reworked it a little.

I've only just started it, so I can't really comment on whether it worked. I'm sure it will bring a freshness to a series which was IMHO getting a little stale, but at the same time I can't decide whether he really deserves to have his name blazed all over it if he just did the edits. I mean, shouldn't he just have permitted Forstchen to work in Midkemia for a cut of the profits and stayed well clear?

To me a proper collaboration is one where the authors at least sit down regularly to make decisions about the plot and characters, not just where one rewrites the other.

Aleya - http://silver-oak.com

Erebus
August 19th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Okay, Franis, I'm prepared to start this collaborative story off with a title, and maybe a few lines as well, and I'll leave it up to the members to carry it on from there. If it works and we get enough support maybe we could start a new one each month, if we can get enough suggestions for titles etc. that is.

It should be an interesting project...

NOEL
August 21st, 2001, 06:22 PM
ok thx for the info . my reaso for asking is i have a great story plot but hehe my prose is horrible for fantasy . hopefully someday i will find someone who will help me write my tale

Aleya
August 21st, 2001, 10:52 PM
I generally suffer from the opposite problem. My writing seems to flow out reasonably well, but I struggle horribly with plot and am often left with large holes which take me weeks to figure out a solution for.

I've taken to asking my boyfriend to help now, since a few weeks back when I was working with a short story which had been on hold for weeks, and when I happened to mention to him what the problem was he rattled off an idea in seconds! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif And he doesn't even read - eesh.

Aleya - http://silver-oak.com

Steven Savile
September 5th, 2001, 02:38 PM
I've worked on a few collaborations over the last couple of years - one style I used with one writer was that he laid down the framework, hammering out a very rough draft of our collective ideas, and then I gave flesh to the bones. Another time a different writer and I sat side by side (well, first we were in a cafe discussing ideas...) and argued about every single line as it went down - not to be recommended. The third style I've used, this one on a full novel, was to write a section of perhaps 5k and bounce it back and forth, editing each other as we went. It's really horses for courses. I've had good experiences and bad. Two collabs that are unfinished, and will remain that way forever I am sure, and one friendship that could have suffered because no matter how much you want to believe it will work, most times one person does the brunt of the work and ends up feeling bitter.

Not wanting to be cynical but Fiest's name is plastered all over Honoured Enemy because it sells copies... who the heck has heard of his collaborator? it's that old devil called money again.

And on the third subject, another forum I was a member of last year did a collaborative horror novella, Fallen Angel Blues, which was done as an old fashioned round robin, each person posting about 300 words, or less and passing it on. At the end of it the collab was released in paperback by a small press in the US - it was fun to be part of... and holding a real copy of it over an electronic screen of words gave it more validity. Surely the aim should be to deliver a final tale somewhere - around 15,000 words worth of classic fantasy touched by everyone's own unique insight. We've got 669 registered users. If 300 are active and 100 actually are prepared to stump up 5 bucks to buy a copy you've got a pretty nice collectable novella on your hands. I'm sure there are artists in house as well...