PDA

View Full Version : Most Hated Events/Weapons/Things/Etc.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Andrew J
May 7th, 2005, 11:23 AM
No, this is NOT a cliche list--cliches are needed, to an extent, and can be good (Half-Life used a lot of them, or variations, and it's one of the greatest FPS games of all time, if not the greatest PC game).

However, I was curious on starting a discussion on this: What events, plot "twists," mechanics, weapons, whatever--anything at all having to do with playability in games is fine--truly makes you want to retch--or at least get very angry.

Myself, well, I love FPS games, but I wish we'd get more out of the weapons--it seems that every game but a few classics has the "Generic Set" that we've had since the original Doom! (The very plain rifle, pistol, shotgun, and rocket launcher combo. Of COURSE, the developers always seem to skip out on the coolest Doom weapon to rip off: the chainsaw.) Why not have some "down and dirty" weapons along with the hi-tech stuff? (Especially if it's with more normal enemies, or a survival horrorish one.) I think a heavy duty nailgun or jackhammer would be cool to utilize--those, and a dozen other sharp pieces of toolstore hardware.

Another thing is exploding barrels (more so if they're colored bright red.) Having enemies constantly duck for cover behind them (or, even more annoying, bosses you can only beat by luring them to the barrels and getting out of range and shooting said barrels) is annoying! It cheapens the AI and usually makes the game way too easy, as the developer typically puts them ALL OVER.

So, what gets on your nerves, or is at least slightly annoying?

Zanzibar
May 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Cool thread. Some of my peeves include alarm systems (especially in first-person shooters). Whenever they're in a game, that game invariably becomes a race to see who can get to the stupid trigger buttons first. I hate that and I never want to see it again. Unfortunately, that'll never happen. I also hate prison levels, mostly because they usually contain alarm systems but also because I've seen too many.

saintjon
May 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I hate the weapons from ffX, it's like functionality just went completely out the window.

kater
May 10th, 2005, 11:56 AM
FPS's where you have to jump - its not big, its not clever, its just fricking annoying. I also detest games that jump on the bandwagon even though its left - any game that uses Max Payne slo-mo is just asking to be dumped in the bargain bins.

Gregorius_H
May 10th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Some of the game mechanics of the survival horror genre gets on my nerves. You know, get key from location A to open door at Location B. All of the running around and stuff. Why does a horror game have to have puzzles and pointless fetch quests? In horror movies no one ever stops to read a riddle written above a door which requires a pin combination to open. It just slows the whole game down.

I've noticed there's a minimum of that in RE4 though.... YES!

Cwass
May 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM
in most RPGs the weapons that you see on the character never change, it looks the same, a simple silver sword and so on. in FFX the weapons change everytime you change them. i wish every game would do that. iam playing BoFIV right now and i think it wold make the game that much more interesting and entertaining

JamesL
May 11th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Some of the game mechanics of the survival horror genre gets on my nerves. You know, get key from location A to open door at Location B. All of the running around and stuff. Why does a horror game have to have puzzles and pointless fetch quests? In horror movies no one ever stops to read a riddle written above a door which requires a pin combination to open. It just slows the whole game down.

I've noticed there's a minimum of that in RE4 though.... YES!

To be honest, I think that the use of puzzles and 'fetch quests' was an integral part of the Resident Evil series and worked well. But Resi Evil 4 is certainly a little different - fewer and easier puzzles, while there is not so much item hunting to be done. It's more trigger happy and more mainstream but works very well indeed. Check out my official review in the games section if you haven't done so already. :)

saintjon
May 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I used to hate on the old mega man games some of the jumping parts. It seemd like sometimes he was just bound and determined not to jump, and then you get the things that hit you in mid-air, halting your momentum, and you're just dead.

I hate how rpg's always have such small towns.

and lastly I hate some of the demanding inputs for fighting games. Like in Soul Calibur 2 Talim has this devastating 3 part throw complete with quarter circles on the analog and crap, and you have to time it perfectly. It's so hard to do it'd be almost impossible to apply in combat (or maybe I"m just a sub-standard soul calibur player :S)

Gregorius_H
May 11th, 2005, 09:15 PM
and lastly I hate some of the demanding inputs for fighting games. Like in Soul Calibur 2 Talim has this devastating 3 part throw complete with quarter circles on the analog and crap, and you have to time it perfectly. It's so hard to do it'd be almost impossible to apply in combat (or maybe I"m just a sub-standard soul calibur player :S)

Nah, I've got a friend who plays Talim, he's been trying to get that throw to work since the game was released. He's pulled it off in the practice mode once or twice, but I'm still yet to see him use it in combat, even in arcade mode.

Zanzibar
May 11th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I used to hate on the old mega man games some of the jumping parts. It seemd like sometimes he was just bound and determined not to jump, and then you get the things that hit you in mid-air, halting your momentum, and you're just dead.
I just hate how hard those stupid games were. I really sucked at them :) .

Something that really pisses me off (and the only flaw I found with Mercenaries) is unlimited or endlessly-spawning enemies. It wasn't too bad in Mercenaries because it kind of worked with that type of game (though it was annoying having hordes of guys pour out of those concrete bunkers while you're trying to load a captive into the chopper!) but in first- or third-person shooters that are story driven this kind of crap just doesn't fly. Syphon Filter: Omega Strain SUCKED because of this.