PDA

View Full Version : Body's Chemical Reactions

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
May 8th, 2005, 07:57 PM
I need someone with good knowledge of how the body funtions and what would happen if it was infected with certain types of organisms.

For my current story, I have humans that are infected with a virus that allows their body to regenerate skin, bone, and blood cells so that if they were damaged to an extent that would kill the human body they could heal theirselves within a short amount of time.
I was thinking maybe something like a plant or some other organism that regenerates at a quick speed to be part of the virus. The virus also drives it victim insane until its basically mindless. Sound irratates them, imagine hearing something far away like it was right at their ear. But this doesnt stop them because of the virus they feel the rage to rip the owner apart. The same thing with moving things other then their own infected people. People infected emit a radiation relieving the other infected's senses so it wont bother their own kind. However other moving objects would create a ripple in their vision.
So thats the idea of their virus insanity. Now the reason I need the medical help is to know or get advice on what I should or shouldn't do in my story that woul dmake me sound stupid because I dont know what I'm talking about. Now maybe this idea sounds a little wack, and if you think I should try and discover a different virus then just tell me but I really have a feeling for this one.

Wildeblood
May 8th, 2005, 08:53 PM
The same thing with moving things other then (than?) their own infected people. People infected emit a radiation relieving the other infected's senses so it won't bother their own kind.
Radiation? Er, nah. Pheromones would be the go. Hormones released in the perspiration that others subconsciously detect through smell.

TheEarCollector
May 8th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Well theoretically if you supercharged someone's metabolism then they would regenerate quicker, but they would also be eating ALL the time trying to make up for the increase in energy use...

You know, why be technical about this? You know exactly what symptoms you want them to have so why even bother coming up with a reason for it? Unless you want to start with a few diseases and THEN come up with symptoms that seem feasible as a result, it really doesn't make sense to have it TOO grounded in science.

SubZero61992
May 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks TEC, you just gave me a reason that they could have the flesh eating zombie status, their metabolism.

H.F.
May 9th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Hi! Usually I just like to lurk over in this forum (great conversations), but I saw your question and since no one has suggested it yet, I thought I'd mention stem cells, and cancer cells. Specifically, the prob with cancer is its nearly unstoppable replication. If you ever see the X-Files episode, Leonard Betts, it features a man who can regenerate his whole body because it is made entirely of cancer cells. He also eats tumors to feed his state.

Stem cells are perhaps a bit more scientific. Stem cells are neutral and can be turned into anything. They are already being looked into to regenerate dead cells in paraplegics, and so forth. I've had several students write papers on cloning, and so I know a lot of readily available info is currently out there re: the use of stem cell research to grow clones, body parts, regenerate parts, etc. Ok, going back to lurk mode...

SubZero61992
May 9th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Could you imagine seeing a regenerating arm, it must start out small and keep growing, ugh!

Expendable
May 9th, 2005, 07:42 PM
If regeneration was just left to itself, a small bump on the amputation site would eventually turn into a taller bump with tiny finger bumps, almost baby-doll like after a month. Seven months later, it would be about the size of a baby's arm. Finally after 2-3 years he should have a perfectly normal looking arm.

But of course, someone will want it to be faster. That's where a problem will develop.

SubZero61992
May 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Yep, why risk problems when you know it will regenerate naturally given time, unless they are planning to die.