PDA

View Full Version : Writers Writing Resources

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Radthorne
December 20th, 2002, 10:53 AM
I'd like to start a thread of resources for writers, and if the powers that be deem it worthy, perhaps even make it a sticky thread.

Please try to keep this list focused on things that assist in the craft of writing, rather than other things like getting published, etc. The resources can be books or websites, preferably ones that you have personally used and have helped you in your writing.

Here's my first contribution: Kate Monk's Onomastikon. This is a very detailed compilation of actual names from around the world from many cultures, nicely indexed, with some background on how each of these cultures' names developed. It is a great source for either actual character names to use, or even better for figuring out how to make fictitious names that follow the same pattern of a culture you may be emulating.

The Onomastikon has traveled around a bit on the web since it was created in 1997. It's current location is on a role-playing game site; you can find it here. (http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/)

I, Brian
December 21st, 2002, 01:54 PM
Here's an authoritative resource on writing sff:

http://www.chronicles-network.net/writers/resources/

Arc
December 24th, 2002, 06:03 PM
I've seen more than one person point to "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk as an excellent guide.

Aik Haw
December 26th, 2002, 01:25 AM
All I know about writing...............John Marsden
Conflict, Action and Suspense......William Noble

Erebus
December 26th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Radthorne
I'd like to start a thread of resources for writers, and if the powers that be deem it worthy, perhaps even make it a sticky thread.

Worthy enough it is, and duly stuck! :)

Tanith
December 26th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury. Not a book on the mechanics of writing (there are tons of those), but one focusing on the fire of enthusiasm that keeps this genre veteran writing after half a century. It's the most inspirational writing book I've ever run across.

Tanith :)

Kirby
December 26th, 2002, 11:09 PM
On Writing by Stephen King - more autobiographical, but it's also inspiring too. He does talk about his personal views on writing, some of it makes pretty good sense.
:)

Hereford Eye
December 30th, 2002, 04:56 PM
An oldie but goodie: The Craft of Science Fiction edited by Reginald Bretnor with input from Pournelle, Niven, Anderson, Pohl, Herbert, Nourse, Spinrad, Brunner, Clement, Williamson, MacLean, Ellison, and Sturgeon. Barnes and Noble 1977

Patois
December 30th, 2002, 11:34 PM
Telling Lies for Fun and Profit by Lawrence Block (If anything blasts away writer's block, this is it!)

All the rest in my library are specialized--from professional disease books to name books to mythology books.

I, Brian
January 9th, 2003, 10:17 AM
"From pitch to publication" - Carole Blake (respectable London literary agent)

Important points on how to submit, and the process of acceptance and publication.