PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Tech

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

TheEarCollector
May 10th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Well I am still in the process of my worldbuilding and I am wondering what kind of resources are available in seeing what kind of technology has been developed for sci fi vehicles?
Does anyone know of a listing?

On to the next part, can you think of any other good ones here?
So far I have: Wheels (the basic), treads (still pretty basic), hover via fans (slightly more advanced), hover via anti-gravity (ooooooh ahhhh)
I think I am done... And I don't mean put a sail on a car either, because that still uses wheels... Are there any other ones?

TheEarCollector
May 10th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Oh and I forgot the use of legs as well...

Zanzibar
May 11th, 2005, 11:24 PM
About the second part, there's always flying. Jets or spaceships or stuff of a similar bent (like flying animals or monsters). Something slightly more unusual would be tunneling, either via a large drill or bore or some sort of harnessed or domesticated creature (like the sandworms from "Dune"). Teleportation is a fast and effective way of getting troops in and out of the thick of things, though it isn't in the vehicle vein.

TheEarCollector
May 11th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Remember Shredder's vehicle from the teenage mutant ninja turtles? I was instantly reminded of that when you mentioned tunneling.

Zanzibar
May 11th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Lol, I do. Who'd have thought that show would prove inspiration for anything serious? Shredder and his big drill weren't very practical though. Speaking of impracticality, I'd add hot air balloons to the list. No use in a firefight but great for taking in the sites.