PDA

View Full Version : An offer for members of sffworld (giving back)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

michaelS0620
May 15th, 2005, 06:35 PM
All,

I have been on these forums for some time, getting critiques, participating in discussions. Even before then, I lurked, combing through the discussion archives getting useful tid-bits of knowledge and motivation. I am currently pushing through my first novel, and have been writing a fair amount of poetry. I owe a lot of it to sffworld for helping me get my motivation. So I think its time to give something back which is why I am making the following offer.

I am willing to read through someoneís manuscript and provide detailed, chapter by chapter feedback. I will look at the big things (plot, characterization, continuity), and small ( sentence structure, wording, etc.). I will provide a set of detailed notes for each section or chapter.

This offer is primarily extended to those who contribute to the sffworld community and make it what it is. Its not just for people who post often, but also for those who post deeply, whose comments are well thought out and considered, and make sffworld a treasure trove of information.

If you are interested, please have a manuscript that is by and large complete. A completed first draft is fine, as is a completed first draft of the first 50k words or so. It doesnít has to be perfect, but I would rather not critique a manuscript that is half prose and half outline with large chunks of story yet to be written.

I have been told by friends I have critiqued that I am good at finding flabby parts in their writing. (Iíve also been told that I can sometimes be too blunt). Please understand, however, that I am not a professional book doctor, or agent (Iím not even published), just someone willing to help someone else out.

So, if after reading all of this, you are still interested :) , then send me a private message with a short description of your story and how long it is. I will wait a week or so, and then I will let people know (via PMs) if I agree to read it.

Michael

pennywise86
May 15th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I don't know if I can give an entire manuscript to someone I don't know over the internet, but if you want to critique something, I have a large excerpt in the stories section under the name Usman Ijaz. I don't mean to say anything bad about you, but it is simply that it's hard to trust something so personal and something you have spent so much time and effort over to someone you know nothing about.

michaelS0620
May 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
pennywise,

I guess there is no way to convince anyone here, that I can be trusted. We sit behind the veil of anonymity on the internet. That being said, all I can do is offer my word, that those who are interested need reply without fear. I am not trying to pull anything over on anyone nor do I have an ulterior motives.

It doesn't have to be an entire manuscript in any case. I was making the offer of a full manuscript, as it is often hard to find people who will do that (try posting 200,000 words on the stories section!).

Michael

Hobbit
May 16th, 2005, 06:52 PM
I think that the offer is appreciated, Michael.

I for one think it's great that Forumites like yourself are willing to offer their support to others as a 'Thank you'.

Big kudos, both to you and those who have supported you.

Hobbit

SubZero61992
May 16th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Lesse, I have 2 chapters complete and am working on the 3rd one and I need alot of help on the whole thing because I want it to be a mature book, and some of the parts are mature but there is times when it seems to be written for kids and I think of an adult just putting it down after reading it.

So if I qualify as crazy, I wouldnt mind sending the chapters to you via e-mail.

Michael2000
May 17th, 2005, 03:43 AM
The offer is appreciated. I may take you up on it.

I don't really have a problem with the idea since you've asked for a complete manuscript. If anyone is really worried about it, they can file it first and then submit it to you.

At the very least, it may mean I'll pay less for a third party editor later. From what I've seen so far, many of them offer discounts for manuscripts that are well-written to begin with. That way they don't have to spend a horrid amount of time cleaning up grammar and such.

michaelS0620
May 20th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I have chosen two for this round, and PMs have gone out to everyone letting them know. Depending on how it goes, I might offer again in the not too distant future.

Thanks again!

Michael