PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Block; need help!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

tooeviltoknow
May 19th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Writer's block is no fun! So I was wondering if you guys can help me out. Give me some titles, some sentences, just random things, and i will try and write a story. I am not asking for ideas, just a title, or a sentence, just anything and I will see if that helps to trigger something. I can't write for months now, because nothing's triggered! But perhaps if you can all give me a lot of sentences or titles, one of them will trigger something! So now is your chance! Throw random weird things at me! (word things!)

TheEarCollector
May 19th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Maybe check out my post on the snowflake method for a trigger? Basically I am gonna see how people use it for themselves...

tooeviltoknow
May 19th, 2005, 11:53 PM
True, but first I need a story/theme/plot/something, otherwise the snow flake method would be useless for me.

TheEarCollector
May 20th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Ummm... bloody snow angels, try to work with that ;)

MrBF1V3
May 20th, 2005, 12:37 AM
"God hates me," he said between ragged breaths.

Most people had a special talent, only hers could get everyone killed.

or the perenial fav

His name was Sam Tarzan...

B5 :)

Merancapeman
May 20th, 2005, 07:50 AM
It came from above, but the penguin elf wasn't around...
or
Who knew? None, but the penguin elf...
or
How much wood can a wood chuck chuck? A penguin elf...

So, if you want to write about a penguin elf, the stage is yours for the taking :D

.... Ah, I shouldn't encourage it. See, it's one thing to have ideas, but it's another if it is someone elses. Use methods, or inspirations or even mix a few ideas to combine into your own. I'll give you a few things to "trigger" you, but I'm not telling you to use it if you don't want it, and try not to make a habit out of it. You've got more creativity than you think. ;)

{title} Dawn of Stars

{random area}
"Ah... A feast steps onto my plate. Where, then, are you going?"

Dthawn stopped halfway down the hall and turned to face the voice. Even though it was incredibly dark, he knew what it was.

"Where are you, so that I may see your morbid maw?" Dthawn pronounced into the echoey cave. His voice was full of bravery, but his heart brimmed with fear.

A short burt of air erupted into Dthawns face, followed by dark laughter.

"You, but a puny human, can do nothing except guess. I will enjoy tearing the steaming meat from your brittle bones..."

Happy hunting, Too Evil, and good luck! :)

KatG
May 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
If a riddle has no answer, is it a riddle?

JRMurdock
May 20th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Write a list. This is a good way to come up something. Do word association. Start with any word and build from there. You'll eventually get you rmind in gear and come up with something. Works for me to shut my brain down. :) I usually have so many ideas spinning, I have trouble finishing one. And lately my short stories have grown to 10,000 words plus. It's very very strange.

michaelS0620
May 20th, 2005, 10:10 PM
A prompt...

An impeccibly dressed elderly gentleman sits on a park bench. on the ground, clenched between his legs is a battered briefcase. The man looks nervously from side to side. What's in the briefcase and who is he waiting for?

Expendable
May 20th, 2005, 11:30 PM
A spaceman in an escape pod crashlands near the castle of a fantasy kingdom and is proclaimed to be the promised savior in a prophesied conflict between good and evil.

A peasant girl/thief is mistaken for a missing Prince - a prince who's suppose to get married to the Princess of the kingdom next door....