View Full Version : Star Wars Episode 3 - Spoilers Inside

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Shehzad
May 19th, 2005, 10:48 PM
OK-- political subtext aside, here's where we can talk about the movie itself, with free rein without regard to spoilers.

Just got back, and I enjoyed it immensely. Granted, there are minor niggles and little things here and there that bugged me, but the overall story of the decline of Anakin and his corruption was too compelling to ignore.

I still wish Hayden Christiansen would've played his role with more menace and less glowering, and that Lucas hadn't been so amateurish with his "romantic" dialogue, but all of this, for me, was overshadowed by the rise of Lord Vader.

JRMurdock
May 20th, 2005, 12:56 AM
If you liked the movie, read the book. It's a perfect companion! I LOVED the book and I'm eager to see the movie (once the hoopla dies a bit and I don't have to wait in line 3 hours to get in).

The book gives the move another dimmension unlike the first two books. If you thought the movie lacked anywhere, I'm sure the book made up for it. :)

Ramz
May 20th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I just like to go on the record and say Mace Windu > everyone else.

oh, and that solo badass kid jedi > everyone but windu. That kid was jawsome.

Merancapeman
May 20th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Ooooh boy... When you hear people saying a Jedi is "Badass", there is something wrong with the movie.

I just can't wait :rolleyes:

Eldanuumea
May 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Have seen it twice now and still love it.

Like Shehzad, I find Anakin's descent into the dark side to be so compelling it overshadows any negative stuff about the film.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
I was devastated when Ani slew the Younglings. That moment especially tore me up. And then to see Obi-Wan just walk away, leaving his broken body to burn.....there are no words. I understand why Obi-Wan did that, but I wonder if I could have left him there, suffering like that, without at least finishing him off.
The moment when that mask locks into place and we hear tat first mechanical breath.....oh my God. That will live in my memory as an iconic scene.

Eldanuumea
May 20th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Spoilers ahead.......
My daughter has come up with the idea that Palpatine is Anakin's father.
Remember how his mother supposedly didn't know of any father? How it was a "virgin birth," so to speak? And Qui-gon theorized that the midichloians had themselves created Anakin?
Then Palpatine has that conversation with Ani at the theatre, in which he describes how a former Sith could manipulate the midichlorians to create life, and how this knowledge had been passed on .......presumably to him, we infer? My daughter takes this to mean that Palpatine used tghis process to create Anakin.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Merancapeman
May 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Big Spoiler.

In a recent interview with Lucas, it is likely that Grievous is Anakins father. This, in turn, is still pretty stupid in my eyes. Does Annakins parents have anything to do with the story? Like someone said before, I think they should have stuck with Anakin later on in life rather than a stupid and whiny little brat and focus more on the Clone wars and Annakins and Obi Wans involvment in it. Considering how Obi had said earlier that Yoda was his master, Qui Gon should have never been in the movie.

Oh crud... I'm getting heartburn again....

Ramz
May 20th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Ya, Ive heard that theory, that or Darth Plaguas made Anikan with the force. (since Sidious said that he never perfected life making iirc) It would be a long, well sought out plan by Sidious/Plagus if it were true thats for sure.

Merancapeman: By 'badass' I mean cool character. Don't know why you go defenseive over the term, but whatever.

Shehzad
May 20th, 2005, 03:55 PM
If you liked the movie, read the book. It's a perfect companion! I LOVED the book and I'm eager to see the movie (once the hoopla dies a bit and I don't have to wait in line 3 hours to get in).

The book gives the move another dimmension unlike the first two books. If you thought the movie lacked anywhere, I'm sure the book made up for it. :)

Read it the day it was published... It was written byu Stover, after all.

I'd second Maus' recommendation, fer sure.

Evil Agent
May 20th, 2005, 07:42 PM
It's because Merancapeman is so excited to hate this movie! I find it kind of sad how many people on this board always say "I'm gonna see it, but I know I'm gonna hate it". Get over it! :rolleyes:
Even most of the angriest fans are finally giving Lucas a break and saying he did this one right, so get off the high horse and just enjoy the film for what it is. It's Star Wars people, not Shakespeare or anything. It's cheesy Space Opera, and most of you have fooled yourselves into thinking the original movies were ever any different. Yes, there's some Joseph Campbell in there, but that doesn't make it the grand 'mythology' people like to think it is.

Anyway, I loved it! It might be the 2nd best of all 6, right after Empire Strikes Back. I really had no expectations for this one, so I was pleasantly surprised in almost every way. It's still like the first 2 prequels, but everything is slightly better:

-much better effects
-better music
-slightly better dialogue
-better acting (especially McDiarmid and McGregor)
-better story

Of course it had a few cringe-worthy moments, but I was very grateful to find almost ZERO comic relief from either Jar-Jar or C3P0. Perhaps the funniest part of the movie is how kick-ass R2D2 is at the very beginning. You could tell they were kicking it up a notch since it was the last film.

Obi-Wan walking away from Anakin was heartbreaking. I was genuinely surprised to find myself somewhat emotionally affected by the movie, something I didn't think Lucas could do with the new films.

I loved the whole Order 66 business, as well. And what made this movie great for me was the huge role played by Sidious/The Emperor. He's always been the smartest character, and my personal favorite, but I've been frustrated at how in-the-background he's been until now. That being said, this movie features him in full dark side force! He's obviously living out the best moments of his life, and you can see the Emperor's pure evil glee and joy at finally being able to reveal himself to everyone. It's great!

As for Palpatine being Anakin's father, my friends and I talked about that 6 years ago when we first saw Phantom Menace. It seems a bit silly though, and would kind of feel forced if it was true. I'm more intrigued by Plagueis being the father... I'd like to know more about him. But what's this about an interview suggesting Grievous is the father?!? Grievous is a droid, isn't he? (Although it looked like he had some kind of heart).

I can't wait to see it again (The opening sequence literally took my breath away, and for a few moments the magic was recaptured. The camera POVs made me feek like I was actually in the space battle). Oh yeah, and that one jedi kid WAS badass. I wish there were a few more younglings shown fighting, but I guess that part of the story is already dark enough.

Spoilers for last couple shots
-
-
-
I was thrilled to see the return of the deathstar, and all the empire military uniforms, and even Tarkin in there for a few seconds! (the guy played by Peter Cushing in Episode IV). The last shot was too perfect, on Tattooine. Obi-Wan delivering Luke was exactly how I imagined. The movie definitely did a good job of connecting all the final pieces at the very end!