PDA

View Full Version : Do you find time to read ?? If so, how?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

KATS
October 23rd, 2001, 05:06 AM
Just curious if anyone else shared this problem. I find that I have a hard time finding time to read. If I have an hour or two, then I invariably spend that time writing or painting or some other such activity. There are a few authors that I read every new book and I almost always feel guilty for taking time away from my own creative endeavors. I've read maybe two books during the last year.

So how about you? During the last year, how many books did you guys read?

Erebus
October 23rd, 2001, 05:12 AM
How many? Not enough! Like you, Kats, I can never seem to find the time to read all the books I'd like to. Too many other committments of course, and then there's my own writing as well. I think I need longer days...and weeks, maybe!

Alucard
October 23rd, 2001, 10:31 AM
I usually have to sacrifice a decent night's sleep to get my reading in. But if it's a good book, i don't mind...

lior
October 24th, 2001, 11:54 AM
I usually read before i go to sleep, and try to do it everyday. my current reading rate is about a book a month. sometimes I practically make myself read a few pages even if I had a long day.
I guess in the modern world, where apart from work, so many free time activities like tv and computers and music occupy you, you just have to MAKE time to read sometimes.

An8el
October 24th, 2001, 12:54 PM
I take a book everywhere with me while I'm reading it. There's lots of time I seem to "waste," while I'm standing in line, waiting for a friend I'm riding with to do their thing, or even reading while walking or exercising or eating. I also read before I go to sleep for a half hour or so, (but that's only because I don't have a sweetie to distract me.) I'll "multi-task", meaning read and do something else at the same time. I can only have a 56k connection, so sometimes I'll read while I'm waiting for a page to load! My fave is to read AND pet the cat on my lap.(If the cat doesn't get properly petted, it's a holy terror.)
Anyway, my answer to getting more reading done is to learn to read faster. At this point I can read a 900 page book in less than a week. I'm not unhappy with how little reading I get done, because I read quite a bit. Reading symbolizes indulgence to me rather than a chore to wade through, so I'll reward myself with time to read.

wastra
October 24th, 2001, 01:01 PM
unfortunately, I haven't found time to read in a while. I work from 7:30 AM until about 7:30 PM most weeknights, and Saturday until 4pm. that only leaves Saturday evenings and Sundays to catch up on all the errands I can't do during the week.

I can't wait to take a vacation...if this stubborn market would turn around already, I could consider it!!!

Valada
October 24th, 2001, 06:21 PM
I think anyone who loves books will never read as much as they'd like! As a research student, I read about four days a week (all focussed on history), along with working two days a week. The unfortunate part of reading/writing as your "job" is that it can sometimes be the last thing you feel like doing at the end of a long day. That's one of the reasons I love fantasy so much - it has no relation to the reading I do for work!

My major problem, though, is that I buy books much faster than I can read them. My to-read pile is growing daily, and I just can't keep up. Not to mention I've run out of bookshelves, and even if I bought another one, there's nowhere left to put it!

Bardos
October 24th, 2001, 10:03 PM
My major problem, though, is that I buy books much faster than I can read them. My to-read pile is growing daily, and I just can't keep up. Not to mention I've run out of bookshelves, and even if I bought another one, there's nowhere left to put it!

That's my problem about books, too. But my only problem, mind.

KATS
October 25th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Talk about running out of bookshelves, Iíve found that those shelves designed to hold video cassettes are the perfect size for soft back books. I like seeing the titles of my books. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif I canít seem to throw books away or even give or sell my books, even the ones I hated, so I have a continually growing collection.

And as far as reading to fill the odd spare moments during the day, been there done that. Back in my school days, I would often have a book hidden under my desk while the teacher lectured. I even got booted from an A to a B because of it one time. (Never did like that teacher.) Anyway, Iíve found that those times are easily filled with working on my stories and/or poems. I have a satchel that I tote around that easily holds my latest drafts - ready for editing. Every now and then I have to thin it out though because it gets kinda heavy. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

Well, itís good to know that Iím not alone with my decline on number of books read.

Rob B
October 25th, 2001, 04:58 AM
I've read about 75 books since the beginning of the year. I'm stuck on train to and from work about, each way about 45-50 minutes and I read before I go to sleep, and don't watch much TV.